Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pennocip
Message 1 of 14

HomeHub 4 WiFi issues following HH firmware upgrade

Go to solution

Hi,

My HomeHub 4 had a firmware update on 17/02/15 and ever since I can't connect my MacBook, which I believe uses 2.4GHz.

The new firmware is Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26 (Type A) Last updated 17/02/15

Everything else (iPhone, iPad, Sky box, friends phones) connects via 5GHz and no problems have been encounterered.

I've completely shut down and restarted the MacBook and the HomeHub 4. I have told the MacBook to forget the wireless SSID of my HomeHub 4 and then tried to reconnect. It asks me for the wireless key which I input but am told the connection timed out.

I have verified the wireless key is correct for the 2.4GHz by logging in to the HomeHub4 and it is. I've tried changing the wireless channel number on the 2.4GHz channel also with no luck.

The only way I can connect my MacBook now is via an Ethernet cable. My MacBook works OK on other friends & families WiFi who don't use a BT HomeHub.

Can anyone help please?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: HomeHub 4 WiFi issues following HH firmware upgrade

Go to solution

Welcome to this forum.

Have you tried a factory reset of the home hub, to make sure the new firmware config is correct?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factor...

Then make sure that the 2.5 and 5 Ghz wireless channels are given different SSIDs, as Apple kit seems to have problems if both are the same.

Also remember to disable smart setup.

0 Ratings
pennocip
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for your response, I'll try the below but my MacBook has been working fine on the HH4 until the firmware was upgraded this week.

How do I disable Smart Setup please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
0 Ratings
pennocip
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your help. I didn't need to do a factory reset in the end. I just changed the SSID of the 2.4GHz network and the MacBook connected without issue.

Ian

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

i havent had this new firmware on my hub 4 yet can anyone confirm we will as bt firmware page listing latest firmwares does not list this one?

0 Ratings
compsupp
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
I was fed this upgrade to my BT Home hub 4 ( type A ) on the 18th feb and have the same problem, both mac books
knocked out. The firmware upgrade listed As 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26 was found in the event logs of the hub and tie in
exactly with both MacBooks being blocked after running without problems for over 18 months . I have Tried a restart
Of the hub but may now have to restore the hub to factory defaults if no other cure can be found.
0 Ratings
joolzsmith
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I have had this problem too with a MacBook Pro (15", late 2008). All my wifi devices have worked fine with the HH4 for over a year until this upgrade has suddenly caused "Connection timeout" issues.. but only with my MacBook!

Anyway I spent hours trying different things, including getting my Macbook, iPad and iPhone to connect to a 3G wifi dongle with no problems whatsoever. I concluded that the problem wasn't my Macbook (I was beginning to think it was the 6 year old Airport card) but had to be the HH4.

I first changed the SSID of my network, and tried various stuff like setting no security password. It wasn't until I stopped the 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections from 'sync'ing' with each other was I able to get the Macbook (which has a 2.4GHz Airport card) to connect.

So, the solution seems to be:

(a) create 2 new separate connections (SSIDs), one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz connections.

(b) on the 5GHz setup, select "No" for syncing the 2 connections.

(c) create 2 separate passwords for the 2 SSID's.

(d) In your Macbook Network preferences, remove all the old Network SSID's you previously connected to.

(e) Add the new 2.4GHz SSID as your preferred network

(f) Connect your Macbook!

So far (24 hours later) everything seems to be holding up.

(In a rather sarcastic tone) I would just like to thank BT for their stupendously wonderful update (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26) they sent out on 15.02.15 without any notice or warning which broke my wifi. I fear for other folk who may have this issue too, but may not have worked out a solution. If they contact BT, it's likely they will be told it's their laptop, or their wireless card. If they contact their Hardware/software supplier, they may be lucky enough to be told it's a fault with the router, but whether they get the problem solved is unlikely IMHO. 😞

0 Ratings
Belwyn
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hi have Macbook air (2013) and no ip address following Hub 4 firmware upgrade. Splitting SSID for 2.4ghz and 5ghz and unsynching solved problem.

0 Ratings
Johara75017
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
I've had a weird problem which surfaced after 2 years of no problems whatsoever with my BT HomeHub 4. About 3 weeks ago the 2.4 GHz channel dropped wireless connectivity once you go 15 ft away from the router. Before then it worked fine. Within 15ft it works as usual. I renamed the 5Ghz channel and connected to this which I can use up to a range of about 25 ft but I cannot use this to provide wireless access to other parts of the house or even to reach some wireless extenders. So the 2.4 GHz channel is the problem. After a week of calls to BT Support, they checked everything and finally agreed to swap out the router for a new one. I installed the new router and hey presto! I connected all the devices (smart TVs, iPads etc) and I thought the problem was solved. BUT.... wishing 3 hours of being up and running, the Internet connection dropped in the room where I was watching a streamed movie on the 2.4 GHz channel (The 5GHz signal wouldn't reach that far) and the exact same issue as before resurfaced. That is, the 2.4 GHz signal does not work beyond a 10 ft distance from the router. I can see the wireless SSID for 2.4 GHz but when I connect to it from my IPad or iMac and then try to access the web, it tells me it cannot load the page as you are not connected to the Internet! Help! What can I try? BT Helpline just said they would monitor the line for another 48 hours but they have done this previously and now that they have replaced the router they don't see what else they can do.... Any ideas? Or anyone else experienced similar?
0 Ratings