Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
HoddzDJ
Message 1 of 7

HomeHub 5 & MacBook Pro

Hey all,

I am a BT Infinity customer and own a MacBook Pro (early 2011 model) and I have been having problems with my wireless connection not holding. When I scan for networks, I find my HomeHub and type the password but it states that the password is incorrect.

I have, however, found a way around this. I have to set up the 2.4G & 5G networks on their own so that they list as different networks, so I have BTHub5-0001 and BTHub-0001-5G.

I cannot connect to the 5G network on my MacBook.

Although this has solved the problem, my brother in law has a Belkin 5G router and I have connected to that fine on my MacBook in the past.

I'd be interested to hear users views on this subject, to see if I am the only one who is experiencing this problem.

Regards, Ben Hodder.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: HomeHub 5 & MacBook Pro

0 Ratings
SherpaPsy
Message 3 of 7

I had the exact same issue, 2010 MBP and new BT Home Hub 5, and splitting the wireless into two distinct networks solved it immediately.

0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

When you had the SSIDs/network name set to the same or default, were the security mode and wireless key the same for each band? I know of people in the past having trouble with Mac OS X and dual-band routers where the security settings were different on each band.

0 Ratings
hundleton1
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

i  getting something very similar on a new HH5, im all macs in my house, 1 MBA, 1 Imac  an ipad and a number of iphones, everything will work fine then i will come back to one of them after being off and it comes up wth asking for the wifi key again but refuses to connect, if i reboot the router all works well 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Make sure that "Smart set up" is switched off on the Homehub. See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that "forget" the connections and then restart the Mac/phone/ tablet and log onto both. They should then automatically switch to the strongest signal.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

Try not to repeatedly reset the Homehub. this can start to cause you other problems such as speed loss due to DLM kicking because it sees the restarts as an error on your line.

0 Ratings
jessescott
Message 7 of 7

Re: HomeHub 4 & MacBook Air/Pro

Just want to update that this fix separating 2.5 and 5 into different networks still works in March 2018.

Thanks to this advice we have finally solved long-standing problems with a 3-year old MacBook Air and BT HomeHub 4 router. Mac Air has been dropping on and off wifi, and since Sierra OS update ceased to connect at all.

Also solved the same problem with a brand new MacBook Pro.

Thanks!

0 Ratings