cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharpa3
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

HomeHub 5 and Cisco Anyconnect VPN Issue

Having read through several posts my issues sound like the HH3 issue but with a new HH5 Type A. Last week I updated from the HH3 on Infinity 2 to the new HH5 on Infinity 2 and everything is fine apart from my work laptop will not connect to the VPN on either Ethernet or the direct WiFi but if I connect via FON then there is no issue apart from it dropping out every two hours. The laptop running Windows 7 will also connect to other fixed and wifi connections in hotels, airports etc so the issue relates to the change from HH3 to HH5 as that is the only variable.

I have checked that I am not on a shared IP and I have disabled the web address help. I also had the VPN software checked out by my IT team although there has been no changes other than me updating from the HH3 to the HH5.

I tried calling the help desk but it is was clear early in the conversation that I was wasting my time. The next step is to go back to the HH3 as that worked well and is sitting on my desk but before I do that I thought I would ask if this is a common issue, what changed in the way VPNs work from HH3 to HH5 and is there a work around.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: HomeHub 5 and Cisco Anyconnect VPN Issue

Hi sharpa3,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I'll take a look at this for you. We can try a manual work around but we are not aware of an issue with the hub 5. I think it's worth trying so drop me an email with the details. You'll get the 'contact us' form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

@DavidM wrote:

Hi sharpa3,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I'll take a look at this for you. We can try a manual work around but we are not aware of an issue with the hub 5. I think it's worth trying so drop me an email with the details. You'll get the 'contact us' form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

David

Did you (or SeanD) ever get an answer from the Hub team to the questions raised in this thread about VPN and the HH5? See https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/VPN-HH5-UDP-and-MAC-Codes/td-p/1280457

Michael
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 10

Hi

Thanks for your question, I have been away to the hub team to see if I could find anything out for you, I’m afraid that they are not aware of any problems surrounding VPN’s and the Hub 5. Unfortunately one of the problems we have with VPN’s is that there are so many available it makes it extremely hard for us to support.

The hub team have provided me with some tips you could try but I’m afraid this is a tricky one for us to help you with as we don’t officially support them as they are classed as third party software.

Firstly you will need to prove connectivity,  as you know any short drops in the BB will drop the VPN, then please try the following.

-        Check the firewall settings of your router, BT Wi-Fi/Openzone will avoid the firewall.

-        If you have turned off the BT Wi-Fi you obviously need to turn that back on.

-        If you connect to the BT Wi-Fi connection on your home router and it works, and then connect to the SSID of the router and it doesn’t, then it’s definitely a firewall settings issue. All wireless of course.

-        The final step would be a full factory reset and not just power down and back up, You shouldn’t do this with a pen the instruction is to use a paper clip or something similar and make sure you hold it in until you hear it click.

Thanks

Community ModeratorOlga
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Hi there is an option on the home hub for port clamping this will force IKE to use UDP 500 as per the original specification. If its currently set to on turn it off and vice versa and try again. As you can see below the option is under Advanced Settings > Broadband > VPN.

VPN Port clamping.jpg

0 Ratings
suze
Message 6 of 10

Re: HomeHub 5 and Cisco Anyconnect VPN Issue, Checkpoint too

Same issue for me 😞  Except my VPN is Checkpoint and I have BT Business Hub 5 which I assume is pretty much the same as the Home Hub.  First day on Infinity today  - its not going very well.

Port clamping option makes no difference.  As for the firewall settings - Not sure what to change there so not eager to try.  woe is me!

0 Ratings
Supplanter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hello,

Has anyone managed to get this working yet?

A few things you could try on top what has been suggested with the VPN clamp is to manually open ports on your firewall or put your device in the routers DMZ avoiding the firewall all together, this should be used to test only as if you don't have a firewall on your device you leave yourself a little open 🙂

It is possible that the VPN services you wish to use are operating on custom ports for extra security, as your router will use network address translation from inside to outside the intial port will be opened automatically and the router will allow return traffic back on that port. However, if the return port is different to the port opened then the firewall may block it because it wasn't intiated from the client... (depends on your setup) What you would need to do is find the ports your VPN service uses, create a stactic IP for your device internally and then open and forward all ports required in and out to your internal device. This way the router will allow return traffic to reach your device.

The DMZ option basically moves your device from behind the firewall and will allow traffic to and from any host you connect to. You could try both these options but the first is the saftest way.

For a list of common ports you can try here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

I hope you have better luck and this may give you a hand in the right direction: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43715/~/how-to-set-up-game-and-application-sharing%2F...

You can also see which ports are open on your service by port scanning your ip address here: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 (make sure you scan all service ports)

Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
ford57
Message 8 of 10

I have managed to fix this problem.

All I needed to do was to use the browser on my laptop without going through the VPN - I had to stop using the company proxy server in the explorer internet conenction settings.

Once I did that the hub popped up the parental control options etc. Once I had completed the pages in this then the VPN worked without a problem and I could select the proxy server again.

It looks as if every time the VPN was trying to connect that the hub was not letting everything through until the questions had been answered in a browser. The CISCO VPN software could see its RAS server or it would not have attempted a connection. It was the subsequent negotiation that got blocked.

0 Ratings
pezzqa
Message 9 of 10

hi, old thread, but worth me popping this update

I tried many things, and the last comment on connecting non vpn and allowing the bt on boarding questions to go through May be important. I did this, but it didn't work. I think however I did find a solution that worked for me... Add this to the general list of things to try

My van client was Cisco Anyconnect , a web search told me it used ports 500, 4500 and 10000. Different van clients may use different ports, but you should be able to google them. I added a new application to the router under advanced settings / port forwarding to allow all 3 to go through. Then I assigned the work computer to that application...

Early days, but seems to have worked.
0 Ratings
damianw
Message 10 of 10

Tried setting up the same New Application for Cisco VPN

Configured TCP and UDP on each of the following Port Ranges

500 - 500 to 500 - 500

4500 - 4500 to 4500 - 4500

10000 - 10000 to 10000 - 10000

And then set this Application to Apply to my PC

So far so good, then again I thought that when I tried Port Clamping