cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
buchananian
Message 1 of 24

HomeHub 6 WiFi issues

I have had a HomeHub 6 for some time now and on the whole I am happy however I have noticed that sometime it gives problems when connecting to WiFi either by Computer (Apple), ipad or Iphone.

It will connect to the WiFi router and show that it is connected but there is no internet.

With my Iphone it sometimes goes to 4G even when I have connected it to WiFi.

On your forum I have seen many complaints on this but strangly all over a year ago.

Does anyone have a problem or is there a fix.

If I wait long enough it will eventually change from 4G to WiFi.

Is this hub still rubbish?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: HomeHub 6 WiFi issues

is this hub still rubbish - just depends who posts  I use a hh6 and don't have any problems and the wifi is as good coverage as the tplink VR2600 with 4 external aerials which I also have.  others however have some problems of a various nature

have you split the 2.4/5ghz networks and selected the channels manually instead of auto?  have you tried changing the wireless mode?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 24

Just to add to what @imjolly said, have you switched off Smart Setup

0 Ratings
chrishowe54
Beginner
Message 4 of 24

I have had BT hub 6 for 6 weeks or so, after BT installed Fibre / infinity 2 in my village.  Initial problems seemed solved after a Openreach engineer visit, rewiring main telephone entry point to the socket in the hub cupboard.  But now the wifi drops off randomly (I had to talk to Amazon yesterday about Alexa logging off, but now I think it may be the wifi) - eg this am - on iphone the last posted BBC news was 13 hours ago!  Restart the hub & wifi works for a while.

I am not especially techie - have just checked hub set-up - smart setup is ON (why shouldnt it be?); it says I have 13 devices on Ethernet (I have cat 6 cable throughout house, but only have my desktop pc connected (which always seems connected to internet)? - unless they are the SONOS - but sonos is wireless?), and wireless devices = 2 on 2.4 and 3 on 5 bands.

Why would a different make of hub/router be any different?

Any help appreciated

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

I would turn off smart setup as it causes problems when you try and conenct devices.

the hh6 combines the 2.4/5ghz bands and many devices don't connect well with the bands together hence the suggestion to go to hub advanced settings then wireless then separate the bands so you then need to log into the 2.4/5ghz separately  that way you can select which band to log into either or both  some devices may only be capable of 2.4ghz

I would also select channel manually rather than leave on auto

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Zombie
Expert
Message 6 of 24

You will probably find that many devices are not happy with the smart set up being on (especially Alexa) as others suggested you would be better to turn that off, don’t forget to click save.

also some Apple devices do not like 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi being meshed together so split the bands. Then the hub will broadcast two WiFi networks for you to join. One network name will be the standard bt hub WiFi name you are connected to and it will broadcast the network name ending in 5, for 5ghz. Pick for yourself which network you want don’t leave it up to the hub. You will probably find all your WiFi problems will go away. Again don’t forget to save settings after splitting the WiFi.

0 Ratings
buchananian
Message 7 of 24

I have just tried switching off Smart setup only as I do not want to change too much at once but this appears to have made it worse. I will try each step one by one and see what works or not. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

I would leave smart setup off as it can cause connection problems especially when connecting new devices

0 Ratings
midlife
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Hi

I have or maybe had the same problem since I joined BT on 8 February. it got to the stage that I was having to restart the hub every 4 or 5 minutes. However after going through all the splitting channel different modes and 2 hubs and a good number of calls one of the guys at customer services did some tests and said that he found an issue. yesterday was the first day that I stayed on line. A call today said that engineers had worked on an issue at the exchange box so push them to check it.

0 Ratings
chrishowe
Beginner
Message 10 of 24

Ok thanks all for replies so far. Have done all that (no smart set up; split 2.4 &5 channels; select channel manually). Then reconnected all devices - so an hour or two later it was working fine. Then Wifi on iPhone6 dropped off (Sonos music from internet continued for a while though - it must buffer - but can’t turn it off as no control!) . Switched router off & on several times but never went blue (green then orange) - hit factory reset hole on back, started it again, now WiFi working but on desktop pc cat 6 wired (which connects to internet live bbc news etc) the BT hub at 192.168.1.254 is unresponsive !!!

any more ideas? Ring BT?

0 Ratings