cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrishowe
Beginner
Message 11 of 24

Re: HomeHub 6 WiFi issues

And then - how can the iPhone 6 Wi-Fi symbol be 3 bar when 10 - 20 feet from hub, but reduce to 2 bar when under 10 feet?!!!!!!
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 24

The hub being 'unresponsive' on your hard wired PC could be down to network recognition, i.e your PC thinks its connected to a Public network as opposed to a private one. It depends what you mean by unresponsive

0 Ratings
chrishowe
Beginner
Message 13 of 24

Unresponsive was the error message in Google chrome- however I hit “retry” & eventually it connected.
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 24

Does chrome also suggest you run network diagnostics and have you done it
0 Ratings
chrishowe54
Beginner
Message 15 of 24

All now seems sorted - solution - forget wifi on BT Smart hub - buy the BT "whole home wifi" £180 (mesh system - I have just discovered this - I always wondered why wifi worked fine in Hotels miles away from reception, but not always in my 4 bed house, 15 feet from the router across the hall in the dining room, let alone the cellar!) - instead of wasting 4 hours and more trying various options & wondering if existing TP Link wifi extenders worked with BT Smart hub etc etc, then getting nowhere > 1.5 hours opening box, plugging in & setting up the 3 discs, putting cat6 cable link into each and into switch at other end, setting up each device with password, turning off BT Smart hub wifi, changing Sonos password, rebooting each Sonos speaker, resetting Alexa x 2  .... all seems stable & WORKING!!! No drop out yet.

Plus with the app on the iphone, you can see when the iphone switches over from Disc1 to Disc 2 etc.  House with breeze block internal walls are rock-solid, but not good old style for wifi it seems.

0 Ratings
pixeljunkie
Message 16 of 24

I'm having issue with mobile devices randomly not connecting to my wifi even though some devices said they were connected but wouldnt display the wifi icon at the top of the screen (next to reception bars for example). 

Home hub 6, my Smart setup is off.

I have unsynced 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi, this fix some problems as all devices can now connect to the 2,4ghz wifi but NO devices can connect to the 5ghz

0 Ratings
DaveEnVelo
Message 17 of 24

My initial problem with the Home Hub 6 was that when I came back from a few days away the Wi-Fi was poor, erratic and on some devices (iphones) I would connect fine but the Wi-Fi connected symbol would not show on the device – although the device Settings showed it as connected and with an excellent signal.  I tried all the usual things, splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels, changing the channels, resetting the network settings on the devices – all the things that you get told to do.  Nothing worked Wi-Fi was just erratic, worked on some devices and not others and not consistently.  Switching the hub off and on again had no effect.  I used the Restart option on the hub menu and this was the start of resolving my issue. 

Every time I did a Restart the hub actually did a Reset and I lost all my Wi-Fi customisation, my forwarding rules, my IP changes, etc.  Initially I assumed this was simply finger trouble and my mistake but it was consistent, a Restart was always a Reset.  On investigation of the Event Log I found that the firmware had been updated around the time the trouble started in April 2018.  This thread mentions doing a factory reset, i.e. using a pin the back of the hub to force a reset to factory settings. 

I was about to buy another hub on eBay but decided to give the factory reset a try.  Although it should be, it was not straightforward for me to do the factory reset.  Several time I thought I had done it when I had not.  The hub requires pin pressure for much longer than most routers.  Leave the pin in for 30-40 seconds until there is a very obvious change to the hub lights.  This video shows how it is done youtube.com/watch?v=cWX4pd_BbHU . 

Once the factory reset was done I re-entered all my customisation and everything worked fine, and continues to work fine.  The Wi-Fi works and is consistent and a Restart is a Restart and not a Reset.  Looking at my Event Log I could see that the entries started at 00:00:00 01 Jan.  This is what I would expect of a Factory Reset.  However, it was not long before these entries became more realistic and when I checked the firmware on the Information page I could see that it had been automatically updated to the latest level.

My conclusion from all this is that something messed up a firmware upgrade and that by forcing the upgrade to be repeated I have resolved the problem.  Whether this was a BT fault or something with my wiring or electric supply I do now know but it has not recurred since. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

I think in some cases the firmware update does not update fully with a restart and really need a factory reset for new firmware to install correctly - as you found

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DaveEnVelo
Message 19 of 24

An update on my Home Hub 6. Around 1st May 2018 it started to behave erratically again. Main symptom was that WiFi appeared to connect to devices (although devices never properly connected) but no traffic would flow. Ethernet connected devices were fine. Restart worked but did not solve the problem. Factory Reset would just never work, however long I held the reset button. Have concluded that the hub is faulty and reverted to Home Hub 5 which is reliable.
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 24

From your description I don't think your problem is the same as the one I had but I'll add my tuppence anyway in case it's helpful.

I'm on my third of the most inappropriately named Smarthub, to keep it short I recently turned off the 2.4GHz carrier on the smarthub which is downstairs and dug out my old HH5.
I added the HH5 to my home network in an upstairs room as a wireless access point with both carriers enabled and with the same SSID on the 5Ghz carrier as on the HH6, I now have superb wifi coverage throughout the house.

0 Ratings