cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gonkster
Message 1 of 3

HomeHub v6 + Macbook Pro 2010

Hi,

I have a 54Mb fibre home package with a homehub v6 router.
It works perfectly for my PC's.

However my 2010 Macbook Pro 6,2 A1286 with Broadcom chipset wifi and ethernet will not open any web pages except https when connected to the router with either a cable or wifi.
I have tried completely fresh OSX 10.9.5, 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 version installs, and I even have the same problem if I dual boot windows on the macbook. It does resolve DNS names and pings ip addresses both on my LAN and externally no problem at all at a command prompt.

However, if I take the macbook into work and connect it to my wifi or ethernet there it works perfectly with no issues whatsoever.

There is obviously some kind of a compatibility issue with the homehub and my particular broadcom chipset.

My question is, have you come across this before and if so what has resolved the problem? Would a second router work behind the homehub or do I have to connect a separate router like a netgear to my BT Broadband which has VDSL?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: HomeHub v6 + Macbook Pro 2010

Hi,

Judging by the number of complaints about the hub 6, look around the forum to see, I imagine a good quality third party modem/router would solve your problem as you have mentioned at the end of your post. My visitors have no problems connecting any type of device here with my FritzBox.

So Netgear would be fine.

0 Ratings
gonkster
Message 3 of 3

Re: HomeHub v6 + Macbook Pro 2010

Just for anyones future info who searches this... a new router did indeed sort the problem straight off.

I also had problems with my Dell C1765nfw colour laser printer that connects with wifi (drops packets and is unavailable to ping or see web panel etc) and even my wife's Nokia Lumia 1020 mobile that was mysteriously rebooting itself all the time, we thought it was broke but when the router got changed it immediately stopped rebooting.

The HH6 is obviously incompatible with some wireless devices. No amount of fiddling with the client devices will fix the issue at all.

All the devices having issues were made prior to 2014 which seems to be the only commonality rather than OS etc.

Seeing as the HH6 comes bundled with the broadband there's not much point in complaining but given that this seems to be a well known issue there ought to have been a patch to solve this a long,long time ago...

0 Ratings