Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rapz
Message 1 of 16

HomeHub3 Port Forwarding issues...

Go to solution

Hello,

I have a BTHomeHub3 and I want to open a port for hosting a game server. I phoned up, and I think the BT tech support got the wrong idea of what I was saying. The guy said I didn't need to open any ports, but I know for a fact, that I do.

Under my portforwarding settings, I have created a new port to be forwarded, and it says that it is linked to my computer.

But whenever I try test the port on CanYouSeeMe, it says "Reason: Connection refused".

My firewalls are off, and the port is forwarded. What the hell is up?

-Josh.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: HomeHub3 Port Forwarding issues...

Go to solution
FieldEngineer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Make sure when you setup you game server it has a static ip address, this normally sorts out the connection issue.
0 Ratings
rapz
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks for the ideas, but it appears it has self-fixed. Not very technical, but honestly, it has. I re-ran my WAN refresh agent, and in my final (Giving up) stage of doing the port, it's working 😄 Thank you for the reply though. -Josh.
0 Ratings
art-tech-uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

I have a similar problem. im trying to host a game (rFactor) sim racing game that ive host on talktalk using their EchoLife HG520b Wireless Router and never had a problem running it or setting the router up to host but this BT HH3 omg what a nightmare. ive set the ports for rFactor and have set the correct device ive tryed using the default ip addresses automatic detection option as well as using static ip to see if this would work but no matter what i do i can't get the game to allow anyone to join. they just get "time out" ive posted a couple of pics to see if anyone can spot a mistake i may have done.

im hosting the game on device "HPLaptop-PC" using rFactor dedicated server

pic 1

pic 2

SLOW SLOW BT CONGESTED EXCHANGE THAT I SEEM STUCK WITH HOWEVER AT PEEK TIMES WHEN I HIT A VERY SLOW 1MB ON MY BT LAND LINE THAT COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG I CAN JUST DISCONNECT FROM IT AND CONNECT TO NEXT DOORS VIRGIN MEDIA UNSECURED D-LINK ROUTER AND GET A 2.6 CONNECTION. HOW ???????????????????? AND WHY????????????????? IF ITS CONGESTED HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE OR DO VIRGIN PAY BT A **bleep** LOAD OF MONEY.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Try changing the "Assigned to" from HPLaptop-PC to the actual IP address of the laptop, its usually at the bottom of the list, it may be under user defined.

Make sure that the hub device list is set to always use this IP address, or assign the laptop a static address as shown in my guide, and select that or add it to the user defined list.

My guide points you to a website where you can make sure the port is open

It also a good idea to connect the laptop using a cable, as wireless is likely to cause problems.

0 Ratings
art-tech-uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply Keith.

1) changing the "Assigned to" from HPLaptop-PC to the actual IP address of the laptop.
Done and ive made it static on the laptop, so its now 192.168.1.78 and Assigned to that ip instead of HPLaptop-PC.

2) Make sure that the hub device list is set to always use this IP address.
Done.

3) It also a good idea to connect the laptop using a cable, as wireless is likely to cause problems.
The Laptop im serving from is always cable connected for the reason stated.

unfortunately it made no difference. what i forgot to mention is if i give my external IP out 217.44.213.223 then people can join my game room by using the IP, but this is not good as i want a public server that anyone can join.

ive had my router just over 1 year now and ive never updated it in any way so unless it does it on auto im wondering do i need up to date firmware maybe?

SLOW SLOW BT CONGESTED EXCHANGE THAT I SEEM STUCK WITH HOWEVER AT PEEK TIMES WHEN I HIT A VERY SLOW 1MB ON MY BT LAND LINE THAT COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG I CAN JUST DISCONNECT FROM IT AND CONNECT TO NEXT DOORS VIRGIN MEDIA UNSECURED D-LINK ROUTER AND GET A 2.6 CONNECTION. HOW ???????????????????? AND WHY????????????????? IF ITS CONGESTED HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE OR DO VIRGIN PAY BT A **bleep** LOAD OF MONEY.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

You need to assign an IP address outside the DHCP range of the home hub. See my Static IP help page. Make sure that any existing DHCP entry against that device is deleted first.

You will have to do that on the laptop, as the home hub tends to forget DHCP allocated IP addresses.

If you register with a DDNS service, then you can get your own host name which always follows your IP address.

So you only need to tell people your host name, and not your IP address.

0 Ratings
art-tech-uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks Keith
i tried setting everything i have on the router the laptop that is serving is now 192.168.1.44 i then put my other pc on 45 smart tv on 46 etc i restarted the router and restarted all devices but still the same problem in game "Join Timed Out" so im wondering if i can put my user id and password in the EchoLife HG520b because i set that up ages ago when i was with talktalk and it worked straight away. Ive had it now with this hh3 lol

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

You can try a different ADSL router if you like.

The login details you can use are

User Name broadbanduser@bt.broadband.com

Password BT

That is a generic login you can use, as authentication is done against your phone line.

You do not put in any other details like your e-mail name.

The home hub 3 gives lots of problems with port forwarding, as you can gather Smiley Wink