Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philt1808
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Homehub 4 Wireless

Go to solution

I've just upgraded my homehub from 3 to 4.  The wired download speed is as it was: 69Mbps however the wireless speed has dropped.  I get around 13Mbps when I'm sat next to the hub and I used to get around 20.  Upload is actually showing as 13.5Mbps which is slightly better than before.  I get 16 wired. 

So far, I can pick up both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz but the speeds seem to be the same. 

I seem to have the latest firmware as the hub updated itself at some point today when I was at work.

Any ideas about increasing download wireless speed?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Homehub 4 Wireless

Go to solution

@philt1808 wrote:

Any ideas about increasing download wireless speed?

Thanks.

Go back to Homehub 3! A few people have reported the same problem when they "upgraded" to Homehub 4.

0 Ratings
philt1808
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I was hoping for a way forward with HH4. Thanks for the response though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Sorry for being a bit flippant but the HH4 does not seem to be all its cracked up to be by BT in particular the wireless side of it. 5GHz is should be faster than 2.4GHz  but at the cost of poorer range and the 2.4Ghz should be the same as it was on HH3.

It could be that by turning of the smart wireless and giving each frequence a fixed channel might improve things.

To find the best channel download and run inSSider from this link

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

To select a fixed channel on the homehub see this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/c/345/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzcyMjcwNjgzL3NpZ...

0 Ratings
philt1808
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Don't apologise - I've considered going back to HH3 but just wanted a bit of a boost with wireless speed. I'll try turning smart wireless off and assign channels.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
philt1808
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Slight improvement on the 2.4Ghz wireless download to 14.5Mbps but the 5Ghz has dropped to 10Mbps.  So far a rather disappointing experiene with HH4. If it doesn't improve in the next few days then it's back to HH3 for me!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@philt1808 wrote:

Slight improvement on the 2.4Ghz wireless download to 14.5Mbps but the 5Ghz has dropped to 10Mbps.  So far a rather disappointing experiene with HH4. If it doesn't improve in the next few days then it's back to HH3 for me!

Are you using inssider3?
(just forget the 5GHz for a while.)

You may have noticed another variable on the inssider signal strength display. If you look very carefully you can see that it gives a score on how good your (choice of) channel is. I'm not exactly sure what it means but it must be there for a good reason.

The vacant channels are not always the best, as inssider3 is not a spectrum analyser as such - it just shows which wifi channels are in use. It doesn't show all the other signal clutter which may be present.

e.g. another expert recently reported that channel 1 is not always the most reliable.

My own experience is that channels 6 and 11 are the most reliiable, channel 11 being the best.

At least you can give it a try!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
philt1808
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Well, I got back from work today, did another speed test and I can now get 63Mbps download on wireless.  I haven't changes a single setting from last night!

Much better wireless performance on HH4 so I'm much happier today Smiley Very Happy