cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenMac46
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Homehub 4 seems to drop wireless connection speed from 12Mb/s to 1Mb/s overnight

Go to solution

I reported this problem to our helpful call centre when this first happened.  I was on Channel 10 and they suggested I move to the 'preferred' Channel 11.  Things seemed to be OK for a while but now I'm getting the same problem again.  A switch off/switch on of the HH4 clears then problem but is this showing a fault with my HH4 and do I have grounds for asking for a new HH4 (and who do I ask as the call centre staff are unlikely to offer this fix)?  The line speed into the house is 15Mb/s according to the BT speedtester and on the good days is 12+Mb/s on wireless, but goes down to 1Mb/s on wireless apparently overnight.

Any suggestions please?

Ken Mac.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Homehub 4 seems to drop wireless connection speed from 12Mb/s to 1Mb/s overnight

Go to solution

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

if your connection is ok but wireless sometimes drops low have you checked for neighbours using the same wifi channel?  inssider will show surrounding networks and their channel 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KenMac46
Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Re: Homehub 4 seems to drop wireless connection speed from 12Mb/s to 1Mb/s overnight

Go to solution

Hello ... thanks for your reply.

Yes I have Inssider.  I have chosen Channel 10 and then on the Call Centre advice Channel 11, knowing what the wireless environment around me is and choosing free-ish channels.

Any other thoughts please?

Ken Mac.

0 Ratings
KenMac46
Contributor
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

I should have added that I have had the HH4 since early April this year.  Before that I had HH2 which was very reliable for me.  But I got seduced (is that allowed in this forum and before 9pm??!!) by a so-called 'special offer' from BT to upgrade to HH4.

Ken Mac

0 Ratings
KenMac46
Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

This post deleted as it makes no sense when the thread was transferred from another forum.

Ken Mac

0 Ratings
KenMac46
Contributor
Message 6 of 36

HomeHub4 Wireless speed dropped from 12Mbps to 1Mbps overnight

Go to solution

This post deleted as it repeats info transferred from another forum.

Ken Mac.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

Re: HomeHub4 Wireless speed dropped from 12Mbps to 1Mbps overnight

Go to solution

Have you tried separating the 2.4 and 5ghz networks by say adding a 5 to the 5ghz ssid. You can give both the same password. Some devices don't like the 2 combined

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KenMac46
Contributor
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly.  That sounds interesting, but how do I do it?  Grateful for further info please.  This is the first time I have had access to the 5GHz wireless range.  However I only have access due to purchasing BT Wireless Dongles along with the HH4.

I found after I received the HH4 that I needed the dongle for my aged desktop to connect wirelessly with the HH4.  But why should I have to go through further hoops to get the HH4 to perform?  As I stated in an earlier post I found that the HH2 performed quite well.  Why was I seduced with the BT offer (oops said it again)?

Cheers,

Ken Mac.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

Enter hub manager then advanced settings then wireless and turn off smart wireless and aslo separate the 2 bands. Giving each individual channels. You can give them same password

KenMac46
Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

But surely the HomeHub 4 hasn't been designed to work like this - has it?  So one of my original points still remains - do I have grounds to ask for my HH4 to be replaced?  And who do I ask (as Call Centre staff don't seem to be able to provide this as a fix)?

Can anybody answer my questions please?  (But thanks to imjolly for your suggestion.)

Ken Mac.

0 Ratings