cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filmfreak71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Homehub 5 and Airport Extreme

I've just had Infinity installed and it came with the new Homehub 5, the problem I now have, is that I used to use a Vigor 120 to go into an Airport extreme, as my extreme feeds to two Airport expresses, which in turn feeds into a Sonos. Is there anyway I can get the Homehub to work with my airport extreme as all the guides I've have found use the old Openreach modem and just plug into the extreme, now the router and modem have been combined I have no idea what my options are. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Homehub 5 and Airport Extreme

You could buy an old white modem off a well known auction site. I recommend the Huawei HG612 v3B

Alternatively you could put the Extreme into the DMZ of the HH5 and use the HH5 to replace the Vigor.

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
McGrath1982
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Hi I've got a AEBS with a HH5 much better Wi-Fi. Just connect it to the HH5 and put the AEBS in DHCP off (bridge mode) just copy all the info from the HH5 DNS, Subnet Mask, Router Address etc.... and it should just work then turn off the Wi-Fi on the HH5 been using it from November last year no problems at all.
0 Ratings
filmfreak71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I did try this originally but the AE refused to allow anything to connect to it then it also refused to show up in Airport Utility. Once I got home this evening I did a hard reset on it and it now works in bridge mode. I thought this was going to be a problem as the BT engineer said Homehub 5 didn't do port forwarding, but having spent the past hour going through everything, I've got all my port forwarding set up, wifi on the homehub is disabled and the Apple Airport extreme is running the network perfectly

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Glad it is working.

Another option is to let the AE do the DHCP, and not operate in bridge mode

When you set the AE to do this it will give you an advisory but you can safely ignore this, as long as only the AE is connected to the HH5.

This then means the AE is doing all the routing and the HH5 essentially acting as a modem.

Of course, you may wish to leave a working set up working, which is always good advice!

0 Ratings