cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bordonbert
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Homehub 5 deleted device from Home Network - Devices

Hi guys.  I'm setting up a Homehub 5 for the first time.  I have previously had a Homehub 3 and could do anything I wanted with it but I've come across an oddity.

It's a simple query, in the Home Networks - Device section, I have deleted a device from the Wired Connections.  I now want it back!  How do I get it recognised and added again?  I have tried disabling the network (wired) and enabling, restarting the device, restarting the Homehub, nothing seems to work.  Can someone please tell me what I am missing?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
bordonbert
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Homehub 5 deleted device from Home Network - Devices

Ok.  Most of this issue seems to be solved by my fiddling.

A bit more playing around has given me a new view of the problem.  The device I removed was set up in it's own TCP/IP settings to request a static IP address of its own choosing.  I did this because I could not find a way to allocate a static IP address for a wired device in the Homehub.  For some reason, when I first tried it, it would not allow me to edit the IP address for the chosen device.  I think this may be because the address had been set locally on the PC.  When I returned the PC to DHCP allocation it reappears in the Devices display and I am setting a static address from there.  I also have a NAS drive which is set to request its own static IP address and this also does not show up in the display.  I have changed the NAS drive in its own local settings to allow DHCP and it now also shows up in the router's Device plan.  So...

Am I right in assuming that the BT Home Hub 5 only displays those devices it controls under DHCP and will not display others which have requested their own fixed address?

If so, is there anywhere that devices which request their own static addresses can be viewed in the Home Hub settings or are they simply non-existent as far as administration is concerned?

I would find this last point strange as they are still connected to the network and as such need to be managable.  It would almost seem that you are forced to use DHCP via the Home Hub if you want to set up anything to do with any device.

0 Ratings
bordonbert
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

It's never easy is it?  One more wrinkle.

On the network I have an Acer Aspire Revo running as a dedicated XBMC Media Centre.  This is a Linux setup.  It is functioning correctly in playing music stored on my NAS across the network but I've found that it also is not listed in the Devices plan even though the Home Hub is managing it.

I can ping it, and tracert returns a direct jump but with no netname, only the IP address.  I can see it is set up locally to use DHCP and, as I can't see it, I can't get to it to set this static in the HomeHub.

0 Ratings
billat29
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Normally, a device that is set for static IP will not contact the DHCP server. Consequently, the DHCP will have no knowledge of the device. If the IP address that the device is using falls within the range of addresses that DHCP is configured to allocate, then there is nothing to stop it allocating that address to another device. Also, of course, if you are configuring devices manually, then there is nothing to prevent you assigning the same IP address to more than one device. Two devices on the network with the same IP will cause conflicts, but normally they will detect this and complain.

If a device needs to have a constant IP address, good practice is to continue to have that set by DHCP but configure  DHCP to reserve and assign the same IP address to that particular MAC address. (The MAC address is the unique number burned into evey piece of network hardware. ) DHCP also sets other network parameters including gateway address and DNS and if they change, it is better to change on the DHCP server and let it propogate to the network.

The DHCP server on the homehub works in much the same way. If you want to see the device in the homehub's devices pages then you need to have the device talk to the hub.

So you need to set the device to use DHCP, allow it to contact the homehub and then go into to device pages to set the IP to the address you want and then static. If you reboot the device at this point, it should pick up the new settings.

0 Ratings