Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Homehub 6 backup & restore to new device

Go to solution

My HH6 drops wireless connections most days requiring a reset and a few times a week almost completely blocks the internet connection.

I now have a replacement router (thank you bt!).

Before switching I backed-up the config from the original Homehub.

Now I have restored this to the new one.

It looks like the wireless network name and password and admin password have changed to those used by the router / hub just replaced. Is this OK?

It is a bit a surprise to me. Am I stoking up problems for the future?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Homehub 6 backup & restore to new device

Go to solution

Unless BT have changed how the hubs software works, you could not use a back up made from one hub onto another hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Sorry, but as I indicated I have restored the config to the new hub. The mac addresses are all identified with the device names I provided, the wireless devices seem to have connected themselves, the only difference I have spotted so far is the hub ser number. Also the firmware update is not valid, but the version number is showing the same as on the old hub.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

That's fine if it now works for you, personally I would not use a back up of one device, particularly if you were having problems with it, to run another device.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Of course it depends on what is backed up in the config file. I assumed it was all device identification and the port forwarding information - in fact anything I had input, but it looks like it may include some other stuff. I guess you don't know what specifically?

The problem will come when I do factory reset, I guess. Then I will need the original password for the new device again!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I have no idea if it is just certain settings or all software that is backed up. 

As far as I know, if you do a factory reset it restores the device to the software version it is currently running which is not necessarily the software it arrived with as that could have been updated. This could result in some form of mismatch with your device and the BT data base and with that in mind there may well be problems for any future updates.

I suggest that you keep a note of your "old" hubs password and the "new" hubs password to cover the bases.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Home hub backup only saves the user.conf  file not the firmware.

Its not a good idea to load a config file from another hub, as the firmware versions may be different, and parts of the old config file may not valid on the new hub, and could cause instability at a later date.

Backup and restore is only intended to be used on the same hub serial number.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for the clarification.

I think my 'new' hub was manufactured slightly before the 'old' one which was only delivered to me about a month ago. Although I believe everything is probably compatible in the config file I recognise that allowing this to work when the specification says it should not is a firmware software fault.

It is best not to rely on software faults because they may get fixed!

So, after a factory reset of the 'new' hub, I have spent a couple of hours re-entering all my user data. This time I have copied it all to an exel file so next time the job will be quicker!

Thanks for your reponses!
0 Ratings