cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saxmark
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Homehub Security Compromised?

I lost my HomeHub's wifi connection to my iphone this morning, so went on to settings to reset it. On the wifi list was my hub, BTHub6-XXXX. But also on the list of available connections was BTHub6-XXXX_EXT. So, the same hub name, but with EXT on the end.

It looks like an extension to my HomeHub which I've not set up. Can only think it's something my techie son has managed to do without me knowing.  I don't want to try connecting to it with my hub's password, just in case it's dodgy and gives someone all my hub's access. Do I have anything to worry about here?

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Homehub Security Compromised?

if you go to hub manager then advanced settings then wireless do you see the network name there - maybe networks split with different names

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

@Saxmark 

If its exactly the same name, but with the EXT on the end, then a wireless repeater has been connected to your home hub to boost the wireless signal in another part of the house. The EXT is added to indicate its an extender.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Try a factory reset of the Smarthub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This will restore all the settings back to their defaults.

After doing that make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
Saxmark
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks Keith. I think that may be the answer. I'll need to ask my son, but he's 22, in lockdown and it's only 9.15am. I'll ask when he stirs around lunchtime.
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Sounds like a BT WiFi Extender has been connected by the kids 🙂 Bless.. Have a look on the HUB you should see it in the IP address list.
or next door if the kids have been sharing WiFi details , Quick fix change your HUB's password see if they complain.
0 Ratings
Saxmark
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thanks very much. That will be the 'last resort' option if I can't get an answer from my son. Our house does have an extension which can be problematic for the signal coming from the hub which runs off a dedicated broadband socket in the bedroom. We used to have really poor speed, so this helped give it a boost at the time. Most likely he has set up a booster.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@Saxmark wrote:
Thanks Keith. I think that may be the answer. I'll need to ask my son, but he's 22, in lockdown and it's only 9.15am. I'll ask when he stirs around lunchtime.

You should be able to find it plugged into a wall socket. Its not normally an issue as it would have the same wireless password as the home hub, so will be secure, provided nobody else knows the password.

Saxmark
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

t usually check connections to the homehub. But looking at it, I think I can account for all the device connections in there, so likely it's something my son's done in the house.for boosting the signal downstairs.

0 Ratings
Saxmark
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

I think you may have it. I do recall seeing him sitting on the sofa in the lounge with something plugged into the wall socket going into his mac. I thought it was a charger, but now I think it may be this extender. Bizarre if that's what it is, because the Homehub range is perfect in the lounge. 🙄

Just a thought, I did get my ex a broadband dongle attached to my Vodafone account when she moved into a flat with no internet. She lives in the 18th century, so she gave up on the idea of a laptop. I got the dongle back with the laptop. I thought it was still in a box in a cupboard, but unless I've moved it in the past year without remembering, it's been taken out. Could this be what it is that he's using? 

0 Ratings