cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davejones2
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Homehub5 5Ghz Wifi speed slowing down

Upgraded from a rock-steady BT 11mbps connection with Homehub4 to BT Infinity 5 days ago.

The actual broadband connection is superb, a consistent >75mbps.

My issue is with the Homehub 5 wifi connection; specifically the 5Ghz spectrum. The HH4 was faultless in this regard. The new router is in the same location as the previous one.

I have separated the SSID for 5GHz (as I did with the Homehub 4).

- For the first 18 hours or so the 5GHz connection is fine, and I get consistent speeds of >70mbps across the flat.

- After this time period (seems to be variable), broadband over 5GHz wifi seems to gradually slow down until the point it becomes so unreliable that it reduces a speed-test to around 1-2 mbps and renders the internet unusable.

- The actual wifi connection speeds and signal strength are fine.

- Turning the router on and off sorts the problem out for a similar period of time.

- Alternatively, switching to a different wifi channel, and then straight back, (or even just turning on-off smart wireless even if it doesn't change the channel) also fixes the problem temporarily. The actual channel seems to be irrelevant to the problem. Essentially any reset of any kind to the 5GHz spectrum fixes the issue for a set period of time.

- There is no interference on a wifi analyser, and I wouldn't expect any given that the Homehub 4 worked perfectly on the same channels.

- In an effort to solve the problem, I have extended the lease time to 21 days, turned off BT smart setup, given static IP addresses to the 4 devices on the network, tried a hard reset, and am currently trying 5GHz with a/n only to see if that helps. Nothing has thus far.

- The 2.4GHz (now I've changed by Sonos Bridge channel which incidentally the BT smart wireless nor any wifi analyser can seem to detect) is pretty much identical to the HH4. Speeds are significantly less than on the 5GHz spectrum however (when it is working correctly).

- Browsing the internet identifies many other similar HH5 5GHz wifi problems, some of which sound identical to the above.

Please assist!

- Turning off the router even 24 hours is not a solution.

8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Homehub5 5Ghz Wifi speed slowing down

If you are prepared to spend about £60 you could always buy a decent third party VDSL Modem/router which is probably the best fix.

0 Ratings
lushc
Message 3 of 9

Just chiming in to say I've got the exact same issue. Thankfully I came across this thread before writing my own, you've explained the problem perfectly.

I've read through quite a few threads about wifi performance now, and yes it appears a temporary fix is to just change any wireless setting (channel, adapter speed etc), but this is not a long-term solution at all and it's disappointing there's no official statement that they're even aware of this issue.

I'd be tempted to disable the 5Ghz band entirely if 2.4Ghz peformance was acceptable, however the BTWiFi-X and BTWiFi-with-FON access points also broadcast on the same channel, which causes massive interference and similar performance degradation.

I'm hoping it's just a firmware bug rather than a hardware fault, but I'm at a loss on how to make the relevant people aware of the problem. Tempted to just throw some money at a VDSL2 router (TP-LINK Archer VR900, TP-LINK TD-W9980, NETGEAR D7000-100UKS, ASUS DSL-AC68U seem to be common recommendations) for peace of mind.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

the BT WiFi -x and BT WiFi have no effect of the operation of the normal WiFi operation of the hub and certainly cause no interference issues
0 Ratings
Highlighted
NoobFirstClass
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Same issues here, nothing I've tried has fixed it.. Really frustrating!

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 6 of 9

best advice i can give is give up and buy a different router,i bought a netgear nighthawk and wifi is perfect.

0 Ratings
ch76
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thank you for summarising the issue so precisely - I had a HH5 in my previous home zero issues with speed. After a small absence I'm back as BT infinity 2 customer and get 60mbps to the router but my wifi signal degrades over time (sometimes 7 days, sometimes 7 hours!) to the point it needs a hard reset. 

Does anyone form BT actually monitor/ respond on these forums??

They really need to get their act together and acknowledge there's a problem. It all seems to stem from the firmware update in Dec.  All was well before that

Does anyone know of an escalation route which doesn't involve a long drawn-out phone call to support?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@ch76

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read
0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 9 of 9

After hitting similar issues I decided to go for the VR900. I posted a few thoughts in this other thread : https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Latest-VDSL-Home-Hub-Equivalents/m-p/1607267#M12...

0 Ratings