cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leehebrides
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

House intranet and wifi

I have searched and read. Few threads on here and elsewhere on setting up my home for Broadband and just wish to get a few points straight in my head if people could help please.

i wired my home many years ago using car5e , so most rooms have a access point . I also have an old pc in the loft which I use as a media server with plex.

1. I have a Asus router in the loft which currently use for my home internet which is Wi-Fi. I under stand that if I put the BT smart hub next to the main bt socket where is a network point I can connect lan to lan port then switch my Asus to accesspoint mode . This should give me a better Wi-Fi signal at the end of the House further from the smart up. Would this work ok. ?

2. The living room contains , smart TV, Xbox,blueray and a Sky q box , behind the TV there is a wired network point. I have a couple of 10/100 hubs . I was thing of placing one behind the TV putting all the devices that need internet for updates ect plugged one of the hubs which then goes to the Asus. Should this work ok.

3. I also need the Sky q box connected to a Sky q mini box in another room which also has a network point, so this would go from the main sky q box to the hub, to the Asus lan port from another lan port to the sky Mini box.

So does this sound a reasonable setup utilising my existing Lan set and more to the point will it work.

thanks in advance

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: House intranet and wifi

Yes, all sounds very reasonable. Just make sure you give the Asus an address outside of the DHCP range of the hub.

0 Ratings
Leehebrides
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, I did read that somewhere as something that would cause problems. 

I not sure about setting static ip addresses for things, I have one set as static for my printer, but would there be any advantage for sett8ng them for everything else, easy enough to do 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Under normal circumstances the only time static addresses are needed is when port forwarding is required for CCTV cameras etc although the DHCP server on the Home Hubs does tend to be a bit flaky.

0 Ratings
Leehebrides
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks, I can live with the DCHP on the hub , if it’s a flaky as you say, I can always set statics later. 

0 Ratings