cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kah22
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

How Do I Change From BT Home Hub Back To My Old Router

I shifted from TalkTalk to BT Broadband about a month before Christmas. When with TalkTalk I used a Netgear DG834G Router and would like to remove the BT Home Hub 4 and revert to the Netgear. Here is what I've done.

First I unplugged the BT Hub from its power source, carried out a factory reset on the Netgear and then connected the Netgear to my laptop via a Ethernet cable and accessed the Netgear Router from there. I used auto detect and came away with the settings below. When finished the bar in the bottom right corner said I had internet connection but I couldn’t get on to the internet

Any ideas as to what might be wrong and how I might use my Netgear as the router for my bt internet

Basic Settings
Does Your Internet Connection Require A login Yes
Encapsulation PPoA (PPP over ATM)
Login bthomehub@btinternet.com
Password bt
Idle Timeout (In Minutes) 0
Internet IP Address Get Dynamically From ISP
Domain Name Server (DNS) Address :Get Automatically From ISP
NAT (Network Address Translation)
Enable Disable (didn't select any here)
ADSL Settings
Multiplexing Method VC Based
VPI 0
VCI 38
Wireless Settings Netgear
Name (SSID):
Region: Europe
Channel: 11
Mode: g@b
Wireless Access Point
Enable Wireless Access Point
Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

Wireless Station Access List
Security Options
Disable (This was what was selected in the automatic setup. I'm assuming it shouldn't be like that, but I'll wait until everything else is fixed)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: How Do I Change From BT Home Hub Back To My Old Router

You need to enable NAT, surprised if it isn't enabled by default though.

0 Ratings
kah22
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Since posting I’ve been told that there is a more simple way of achieving the result I want: leave the bt home hub in place, and simply connect the netgear to the hub via Ethernet.

That would mean setting a satic lan ip address on same subnet as bt home hub e.g. if the home hub ip is 192.168.1.254/ then the Netgear should be 192.168.1.n where n is outside the dhcp range, and then turn off the DHCP in Netgear. Certainly worth a try!

The log into the HH4 is 192.168.1.254/ and within the advance setings of my HH4 I have a broadband address of 86.xxx.xxx.177. I’m assuming it is one of these that need to be changed but which? How do I figure out if it is outside the DHCP range? Is this doable with the HH

Sorry if these questions sound simple but then all questions sound simple when you know the answer

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

try changing the login to bthomehub@btbroadband.com  with same BT password

I used a netgear dg834pn for years without any problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@imjolly wrote:

try changing the login to bthomehub@btbroadband.com  with same BT password

I used a netgear dg834pn for years without any problems

Yep, missed that. Certainly better to use the Netgear standalone rather than in conjunction with a HUB.

0 Ratings