cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 21 of 35

Re: How am I meant to solve my jitter problems when gaming? At my wit's end.

Though, there's no option to select Annex B in my router. Just like this person: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Fibre-broadband/TP-Link-Archer-VR900-VDSL-2-router-modem/td-...

0 Ratings
peaslaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 35

Really sorry you've not solved it.

The line and equipment remains a focus then.  Regardless of anything else, the dreaded DLM may kick in and take a couple of weeks or more to bring the line back to its true potential.

Different ISP, but ...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Interleaving-request-to-be-turned-ON/td-p/1352618

... almost an exact same story.

Highlighted
Sage
Sage
Message 23 of 35

0 Ratings
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 24 of 35

Yes either Annex A or A/L/M works for me.

Unfortunately I haven't solved it, no. I'm not even sure if it's specific hops or something only relevant to certain servers. I don't know how I can diagnose it either. 

Regardless:  sfsfsd.png on wired ethernet

Is it even worth getting a BT engineer out? I feel like they'd take one look at it and say nope everything's fine on our end and charge me £130 for the priviledge.

0 Ratings
peaslaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 35

@jonny321321wrote:

Unfortunately not, no. I'm not even sure if it's specific hops or something only relevant to certain servers. I don't know how I can diagnose it either. 

https://www.pingplotter.com/download

0 Ratings
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 26 of 35

ddfsd.png

Looks fine to me but maybe it shouldn't be varying by that much, not sure. Then again round trip is fine. I was pinging the closest pingable server to the game.

0 Ratings
Showofdeth
Contributor
Message 27 of 35

If it's a fault that's out of your property then I believe it's free of charge for any work done. Speak to BT and get them to test your line and that will tell you whether or not it's internal or external.
0 Ratings
peaslaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 35

The physical link is all over and done with by hop 3.  If hop 3 isn't jittery, then the connection isn't misbehaving; the PPPoA connection has done its thing and right now you're looking at a well-behaved 6.7ms.

This shifts the focus.  If the jitter is still killing gaming then the jitter isn't under "no load" conditions, unlike this testing.  You can verify this with a longer sample in ping plotter while you're actually running a typical gaming scenario.   Feels like we're either looking at a) its fixed with the new router, b) it is intermittent or c) QoS issues for low latency gaming.

I'm running a dedicated firewall (Sophos UTM) instead of a consumer grade router.  This gives me a known (best available) QoS implementation (fq_codel) with lots of configurability but it doesn't give me UPNP so some gaming is a right PITA to set up.  If your longer sample shows up the problem in your first hops, then the answer may be to research best QoS for gaming. 

Sage
Sage
Message 29 of 35

Ping plotter shows no problem at all with your connecion.

100% PL at hop 2 is normal as the router is configured not to respond to pings.

FWIW why not set up a broadband quality meter HERE? It's free and will continuously monitor your connection.

For others reading this you cannot do it with a BT Hub.

jonny321321
Contributor
Message 30 of 35

I'm now getting 50% or so packet loss on hop 3 whilst running the game with ping plotter. Is that notable?

Thanks I'll look into QoS.

0 Ratings