cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 1 of 35

How am I meant to solve my jitter problems when gaming? At my wit's end.

Hi there,

So something's always felt off when I'm gaming. As if some of the time everything hangs for a bit and then resumes, typical poor network connection issues, and at certain times of the day it's worse than others. My connection doesn't feel consistent, or stable, even though my ping is fine (it does however vary in 1 game by up to 15-50 ms). It happens in multiple games, some are worse than others, and it's happened for as long as I can remember. I've repeatedly attempted to solve this issue (having created many threads here), to no avail. Last time some forum goers recommended to get a network engineer to have a look at my wiring. So I did that, they came and said everything was fine, and that the master socket was wired correctly. From here, I don't know where to go and how to solve it, short of leaving BT for Virgin. I don't want the hassle of leaving BT but I will if necessary (I've always had problems to be honest, I don't have a vendetta I just want the service I pay for, I'm also on the top package available and we get half the speed advertised because of our distance to the cabinet, should have stuck with BT infinity 1 because the speed's the same). I don't experience these issues in my other residence (with Virgin).

How can I further diagnose the issue? What can I do to solve it? Could it be my HomeHub 5 router that is the issue? There are a fair few devices connected to the router at any one time. I am using wired ethernet when I experience the problems.

Here are some network stats (from my Home Hub + tests) when I made my forum post last time (the issue was never solved): 

/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/53073i0CC87562659DFBD2/image-size/original?v=1.0&px=-1/

/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/53075i30158CC4E7F987C7/image-size/original?v=1.0&px=-1

/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/53072i8BA910A3944D7DEC/image-size/original?v=1.0&px=-1 

jittertest.png

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Showofdeth
Contributor
Message 2 of 35

Re: How am I meant to solve my jitter problems when gaming? At my wit's end.

You're probably going to be asked to post your router stats and maybe asked the basic "are you connected via WiFi or ethernet" questions.

What games are you playing that are showing issues? I myself play a lot of Battlefield 1 and the likes and have never had the issues you describe. That leads me to believe it's your actual connection especially when you say it doesn't feel consistent. Might be worth arranging an engineer but you'll probably want to post router stats so someone can tell you what's what.

Just a quick note on Virgin. Don't. New connections are supplied with VM's Hub 3 which is utter garbage. You think your latency spikes of 15-50 are bad now? Don't do it, mate. I actually left Virgin for BT because gaming was near impossible and my package was the Vivid 350 which was actually closer to 380/19 in real world use but gaming was incredibly frustrating.

Edit:
Never mind. Apparently you have posted the Hub's stats. My bad. Hopefully someone can help you.

Edit 2:
Looking at your stats I see your "line attenuation" numbers are about what mine were when I first signed up. I had to have an engineer out due to a spotty connection.

Before engineer:
https://imgur.com/mNUAjre

After engineer:
https://imgur.com/KvTvGiO

Whatever the engineer did doubled my actual download speed (was 32Mb/s now 70Mb/s) and it's totally stable. Maybe it's the same for you?
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 35

Can you post current hub stats. Try a quiet line test 17070 option 2. The line should be silent between announcements.

0 Ratings
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 4 of 35

Here are the current stats:2.pngThere's also no noise on the line that I can hear.

0 Ratings
Mustafa_Islam
Contributor
Message 5 of 35

The DSL uptime shows 0 days. Did you restart the router? And if you did, do you do this regularly?
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 6 of 35

I believe I did restart the router approx 2 days ago because my Sky Box wouldn't connect to it. I ended up having to use wired ethernet. However, I don't make a habit of restarting it as I know that can affect the box's stability.
0 Ratings
Showofdeth
Contributor
Message 7 of 35

So your main complaint seemed to be about gaming. How are you connected to the console? Wired or wireless?
0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 35

the 5a is not compatible with G.INP, could that be the issue?

jonny321321
Contributor
Message 9 of 35

I experience the problems using wired ethernet to a PC, and also on other devices I own (e.g. laptop).

0 Ratings
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 10 of 35

RE: "the 5a is not compatible with G.INP, could that be the issue?"

I have no idea. Thanks for the information though, I haven't tried replacing the Home Hub yet. I would appreciate input from someone else as to whether it could be this.

0 Ratings