cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peaslaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 35

Re: How am I meant to solve my jitter problems when gaming? At my wit's end.

This info is three years old but appears relevant.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/03/latency-rise-as-bt-deploy-physical-retransmission-for-...

This explains the HH5A being incompatible with G.INP causing latency increases.  The HH5 mistakenly identifies the line as being interleaved, apparently.

HH5A apears to be the culprit.

peaslaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 35

I've got none of the issues you are seeing on a £15 secondhand Openreach VDSL modem from eBay.

For a  quick check, one of these running your connection can plug into the WAN port on your HH5.  The ECI one that I use doesn't give me line stats but just works (tm).

jonny321321
Contributor
Message 13 of 35

Well that's some beacon of hope in the darkness. The one constant amongst all this network misery has been my BT Homehub. Will my line profile need to be reset when I buy a new router? 

And if anyone has any recommendations feel free to suggest, preferably a modem router, budget up to £100.

And yeah I think I had one of those Openreach previously, they might have taken it away though (it might not have been a VDSL one as well). Still, I think it's time to upgrade.

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 35

i belive you can ask for a reset but wether they do is another question. if it does turn out to be the router thats the cause and you replace it with either a vdsl modem or another "all in one" then once the DLM see's a stable line it will start to let the speed back up on its own but could take a while to do it. ive seen people say from 2 weeks to a month on here.

If you want to keep your router and use a seperate VDSL modem ive seen people over on another forum say that the TP-LINK TD-W9970 in bridge mode is very good or you might still be able to get a openreach one on a certain auction site but they are getting rare these days. i carnt recomend a all in one as im still useing the smart hub (homehub 6) which up to now is behaveing itself very well with 8 wireless devices and 7 wired (via 2 1gig switches) plugged into it.

jonny321321
Contributor
Message 15 of 35

Thanks, I've ordered a TP-Link VR400 V1 which will be coming tomorrow. If there are any problems with its capabiity as a router I'll whack it in bridged mode alongside my HH5 or get an Openreach modem one off ebay. 

I know the moderators reset my line once before, but this was years ago when you could still contact them via the forums. I'd rather not go through the rigmarole that is customer support but I'll wait and see if it's necessary.

Sage
Sage
Message 16 of 35

At present no-one in BT can reset a VDSL line as they have been able to do with ADSL.

It always has and still does require an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

CJT80
Expert
Message 17 of 35

@peaslaker

WRT G.INP is that only deplayed on Huawei DSLAMS? If so would a Huawei OR Modem be useful in resolving latency issues? 

Just wondered. 

TIA

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 18 of 35

@CJT80 wrote:

@peaslaker

WRT G.INP is that only deplayed on Huawei DSLAMS? If so would a Huawei OR Modem be useful in resolving latency issues? 

Just wondered. 

TIA

No, used to be.

CJT80
Expert
Message 19 of 35

Ah cheers,
I did wonder.
Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
jonny321321
Contributor
Message 20 of 35

I've now received the new modem router (TP-Link AC1200 VR400 V1) which according to the TP-Link page supports G.INP.

However I'm still seeing the exact same behaviour and ping fluctuations

EDIT: Actually, it might have improved things. I'm not sure yet. I think time will tell since before sometimes it was really bad and other times less so.