cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barneyhairball
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 44

How can I check broadband speed if I cannot do it using wi-fi?

Go to solution

Just set up new Smart Hub.  Cannot check bb speed unless I connect with wire, ie, can't do it wi-fi.  Why on earth not?

I want to check speed with new hub using my laptop in different rooms, so I can't do this if it needs to be connect by wire to the hub.

Just paid 50 quid for this new Hub as I am not a new customer, but how can I check it?  I must admit it would only be minimal anyway, but that's not the point.  I might as well have stayed using my old hub5.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 44

Re: How can I check broadband speed if I cannot do it using wi-fi?

Go to solution
it has to be done with a wired connection because wireless is subject to external interference which will make the results invalid
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 44

Go to solution

as John says the results would be invalid but that does not stop you from doing a test. The speedtester does not known that you are using wireless. Tell it you are, and complete the test, but remember if you are complaining about speed they will tell you that it MUST be connected using ethernet.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 44

Go to solution

You can do it by wireless if you want, but the only accurate way of doing it is by a wired connection. That would eliminate any wireless interference that could affect the result.

You could do the wired test first by connecting to the Smarthub and then as a comparison carry out your other tests by wireless. You should be prepared that the wireless tests could be lower than a wired connection and depending on various factors such as distance,  type of walls, floors etc could be dramatically different.

Message 5 of 44

Go to solution
The reality is that if you get 40 mbps or less most likely the wireless test with good signal gives the same results
Around 70 mbps your wireless could start having problems
Do a comparison wired/wireless and see by yourself if they are same or different
0 Ratings
barneyhairball
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 44

Go to solution
If I'm not going to use it using wires, why bother knowing what I can't have?! And when I do the bt bb check it keeps telling me it can't do the test but won't say why. I've tried to do it via wifi in this way. I want to see if my new hub is better than my old one but I can't as I can't check via Ethernet in each room. Wifi on my devices is useless in some rooms hence my my new hub. Thank u all so much for ur help. Any further advice is welcome.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 44

Go to solution

As you're only trying to test the WiFi the best way would be to use two PC/Mac etc., on the same LAN and eliminate the broadband completely.

For the purpose of the test you connect one of the devices to the Smart Hub via a wired connection so we know this will never be a bottleneck. You then connect the second device on WiFi in each room you want to test from.

If you have PC then you can use an application such as iperf (https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php#windows) such that one device is the receiver, and the other the transmitter.

Here's an example:

Transmitter (WiFi):

C:\Users\smf22\Documents\my_stuff\bin>iperf -c 192.168.1.78
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.78, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 63.0 KByte (default)
[276] local 192.168.1.104 port 5173 connected with 192.168.1.78 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[276] 0.0-10.0 sec 223 MBytes 187 Mbits/sec

Receiver (Wired):

C:\Users\smf22\Documents\my_stuff\bin>iperf -s
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
[296] local 192.168.1.78 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.104 port 5173
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[296] 0.0-10.0 sec 223 MBytes 187 Mbits/sec

In the above we see the test achieved a connection speed of 187 Mbps.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 44

Go to solution

The reason you check it with wires is to eliminate any problems that may be solely related to wireless.

BT only guarantee your speed via wires so to check that you are getting the proper connection speed to your house you have to check it by a wired connection. If you have slow speeds you could be blaming your connection when in fact it is a wireless problem.

You have said you had problems with your wireless connections previously. How do you know it was a wireless problem and not a problem with the actual connection to your house. The answer is you don't know for sure until you test by a wired connection. If that is also bad then you know the problem is with your connection. If the speed improves it would then most likely be a wireless problem.

What speed test are you using?

Have you tried this one http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

or this one http://www.speedtest.net/

barneyhairball
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 44

Should I re-site my Smart hub 6 for better speed?

Go to solution

I have tested my macbook using the ethernet cable both inside and outside of the cupboard that my openreach box is in.  I have also tested using only wi-fi.  Both set of results are similar.  Download is about 25.50 and upload 5.50.  I cannot get the speeds any better despite today testing them using my new SmartHub 6.  My old hub 5 was not much different.

My question is: should I bother to spend 130 quid for a BT engineer to take my openreach socket out of the cupboard, because as we are told, they don't work as fast in a cupboard.  But, I can't find any difference in speed in or out of it, as per above.  I seem to have to just move house!  I live in a city not on the side of Snowden.  I look forward to any answers; in dummy form please.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 44

Re: Should I re-site my Smart hub 6 for better speed?

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.