cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

How can I stop my IP showing my location without VPN?

My IP address now displays the town that I live in, something it didn't do in the past. I live in a small town so I'm not really comfortable with random people on the internet knowing where I live, I don't want to use a VPN either because it will affect my online gaming experience. Is there a way to stop my IP from displaying my town when people look it up? The town I connect to sometimes changes when my IP does but usually it will show my home town so changing my IP doesn't sound like it would be helpful.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Guru
Message 2 of 16

Re: How can I stop my IP showing my location without VPN?

You can't stop it, search engines, websites you visit, online games you play, emails you send will all know what your IP address is, a VPN will mask your IP so any websites or search engines etc will see the VPN IP and not your real IP.

Another option would be a proxy but that is just for browsing and they're not as common as they once were.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Welcome to this user forum.

Your location would not be decided by BT, but by other devices like mobile phones and tablets. This is the information you would see on your web browser if it shows your location.

Google, amongst others, use information from GPS enabled devices, and nearby wireless and mobile networks, to determine your location.

Its not possible to avoid this unless you turn off location services on all of your devices. Even then, your location can be determined by the records held against your wireless SSID.

Google has a record of wireless networks and their SSID and MAC (BSSID) addresses, it uses this to help with your location, if you tell your phone to use wireless networks to help with location. This also happens with other portable devices that use Google as a location aid.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/1725632?hl=en

If you visit the website whatismyIP, it will normally give you the BT POP site that you are connected to, which could be anywhere in the country.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

@-Richie-wrote:

You can't stop it, search engines, websites you visit, online games you play, emails you send will all know what your IP address is, a VPN will mask your IP so any websites or search engines etc will see the VPN IP and not your real IP.

Another option would be a proxy but that is just for browsing and they're not as common as they once were.

I wouldn't mind my general location being displayed e.g. nearby towns/cities, it's the fact that it displays exactly where I live. Is there no way to connect to a different node or anything? (not sure if that's the correct terminology)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Its nothing to do with the BT node you are connected to, its your own devices which are doing it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

I live near Southampton, but my BT IP location shows Glasgow. My web browser shows my exact location on the outskirts of Southampton. I have a number of devices that have GPS built in.

• Your Public IPv4 is: 86.135.200.47
  • Your IPv6 is: Not Detected

• Your Local IP is: 192.168.1.55

• ISP: British Telecommunications PLC

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Its nothing to do with the BT node you are connected to, its your own devices which are doing it.

I guess I am misinformed then about that, is there a reason why it has only recently started displaying my actual location instead of somewhere half way across the country as it did before?

Thankyou everyone for helping me to try and find a solution.

Sorry I forgot to mention, I am talking about my public IP address that is viewable by others, not my private one.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@Spiritualseeker wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I guess I am misinformed then about that, is there a reason why it has only recently started displaying my actual location instead of somewhere half way across the country as it did before?

I think that there has been better co-operation between the location providers, and they have pooled their resources to give more accurate locations.

If you look up your BT POP (point of presence)  site, using the website I mentioned, then you will see which node you are connected to, and whereabouts it is in the country. Its very unlikely to show your town.

If you have BT Wifi active on your BT Home Hub, then that will give people your approximate location.

Also see https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/179386?p=ws_settings_location

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@Spiritualseekerwrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I think that there has been better co-operation between the location providers, and they have pooled their resources to give more accurate locations.

If you look up your BT POP (point of presence)  site, using the website I mentioned, then you will see which node you are connected to, and whereabouts it is in the country. Its very unlikely to show your town.

If you have BT Wifi active on your BT Home Hub, then that will give people your approximate location.

Also see https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/179386?p=ws_settings_location

I had been using the site https://infosniper.net which shows my exact location, the site you recommended appears to show a different one though. Is it possible the site I was using was just using some private information of mine from my computer to find my home town instead of my public IP address that is viewable by other people? If so I feel pretty stupid for not thinking of this before now.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

My mistake I just typed in the IP address shown by What is my ip into infosniper and it is showing my home town. I guess I am just extremely unluck regarding my point of presence, or lucky depending on perspective.

0 Ratings