Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glen40
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

How connect old HP Lazerjet 4100n printer via home hub 4

Go to solution

Hi

I have searched the forums but not been able to find an answer to my problem. 

I just bought an old HPLaserjet 4100n to print out large documents from my desktop and laptop, neither of these have a parallell port.

The printer does not have a USB port only RJ45 and Parrallel port.

I have BT Home Hub 4.

I thought I could simply connect the printer to the hub using the rj45 cable thus creating a network but from what I have managed to glean from here that will not work.

Connecting the printer and laptop via RJ45 does not work also.

Can anyone advise on how I can access the printer either direct from one of the machines or preferably via my home hub using the RJ45 connection.

Apologioes if this has been answered before but I have been unable to find anything.  Laptop on Windows 7 and desktop on windows 8.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: How connect old HP Lazerjet 4100n printer via home hub 4

Go to solution

I would try downloading the drivers and software from here http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome?sp4ts.oid=29120&ac.admit...

I would then conenct printer to hub with rj45 cable and then run the drivers and software and see if the pc finds the printer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Manually configure the printer with a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub.

glen40
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi

Have tried downloading the drivers but have had to download HP Universal Printing PCL5 - is that because windows 8.1 does not support Laserjet 4100?

Connected as suggested but the pc did not find the printer, in the print screen it does show the printer but says ‘Error’ below the printer name.

On pressing Print window does come up with following options

Enter a printer Address

Search for Network printers

Search for print Shares

The last 2 don’t work so will try as licquorice has suggested to manually configure printer

How do I do that??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Not familiar with the printer, but should be some network settings somewhere in the menus. Might need to download manual. Set IP address outside dhcp range, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.254
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Have you set up your computer to use the printer?

If not you need to set it up on the computer so that the computer knows it's there. Go to Start > Devices & Printers > Add a printer > Add a Network printer. Follow the prompts.

glen40
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

thanks all

I have got it working, printed Configuration Page out from the printer and used  'HP JetSend Address of 192.168.1.88 as indicated there.

Typed this in the Enter a Printer Address and it now works.

Thanks

0 Ratings