cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

How do I re-enable IPv6 on My HH6

I've been using BT HH6 since beginning of February with no problems and in all that time IPV6 has been enabled and running, end of February there was a network service outage for about 3 hours, when service was back up noticed that IPV6 was disabled on network setting, nearly 4 weeks on still not working anybody else had this problem? Is it a BT network problem?

Hub IPv6 status:
Enabled
IPv6 network status:
Disabled

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: How do I re-enable IPv6 on My HH6

I think the jury's still out on that one.  Unless BT open up about any IPv6 issues on the network.  It may be down to something that happened during the outage you had though I'd doubt it.  Had a similar outage here (Dunbartonshire) in November if I remember correctly.  Lasted a couple of hours on the local, Alexandria, exchange and a lot longer for Helensburgh.

On resumption of service IPv6 came back immediately, so I think something else is at play.  Other than random failures in different network regions.  You can't do anything at your end to get IPv6 back, either the router gets the prefix or it doesn't.  I would imagine the IPv6 infrastructure is stable and the issue likely lies with the router.  No problems here in the 11 months IPv6 has been enabled.

Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Ok thanks Liam for your help thinking it's more a BT network problem in our area as last week we lost internet service for a week major outage in our exchange Wrexham North but as said before IPV6 still not enabled, is it worth doing a factory reset on the hub to rule out a problem with the hub ?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 14

One factory reset should do.  You don't want to do too many disconnections in a short space of time, DLM might flag this as a fault and reduce line speed.  Might help to disconnect for a few minutes to let things clear, then reset and reconnect.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 5 of 14

@Liam_ writes:

> "You can't do anything at your end to get IPv6 back, either the router gets the prefix or it doesn't."

That seems to be an accurate statement of the problem of "How do I get my IPv6 back?", but it also highlights that the current state of BT IPv6 support has a gaping hole in it.

When your BT xDSL or IPv4 services vanish, you know who to call to report the problem and start the process of getting it resolved.  When your IPv6 vanishes and doesn't reappear immediately on router re-request, who do you call?

Calling 1st line support just increases your problems instead of providing a remedy, since you now have the additional problem of educating people about a service they provide.  This wouldn't be too bad if it led to a resolution, but it seems that such efforts just fall into a black hole and nothing is achieved.  On top of that, it costs you time which you will never get back.

This issue needs addressing.   A good start might be for a BT moderator to investigate the problem and report back with how such a fault can be notified to those who can fix it.  "Just wait" in the blind hope that BT is aware of it already and without an estimated time-to-fix is not adequate.  I'm sure BT management (and Ofcom) would agree with that.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 14

@MorgaineD

OOPs hit wrong key.Smiley LOL

It would be nice if BT were more open about network issues, (if any).  The other ISP's I've been with, Telewest and BE were very open about things.  If called the folks on the other end listened to what you said instead of slavishly reading scripts and if there was an issue with their network they told you what it was and an estimated timeline for resolution.  Oh, they gave out automatic refunds for loss of service.  Once with Telewest I had a refund in a monthly bill and didn't know there had been a service interruption while I was at work.  Pity all that good service went away with the demise of the smaller ISPs.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 7 of 14

Well there's a very good reason why engineers (of all disciplines) are always on about negative feedback, and it's simply because without it there is no means of ensuring that a system fulfils its role.

In this particular case of BT's IPv6, both the technical and the human support feedback systems are broken, and hence IPv6 fault resolution is not under anyone's control and entirely in the lap of the gods. (This includes not under BT's control, since they are not being made aware of the fault condition.)

The community is powerless to remedy this broken feedback path, but BT moderators are not. They can easily start enquiries with the appropriate IPv6 deployment teams, let them know that this problem is occurring, and suggest ways for individual users to report the problem when it happens.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Not that it's any kind of defense, but the issue with lack of IPv6 support is not unique to BT, or indeed the UK.

When I first got my Ubiquiti router I spent time looking around their forum for advice on getting IPv6 up and running. Whilst that was reasonably painless, watching the IPv6 related questions come into the forum, it was apparent that most ISP can't yet support IPv6 well. I saw questions posed from Australia, to Singapore, through Europe and to the US, and a common theme was lack of support for IPv6 from the ISP. It's almost as if the ISP have the view that, as IPv4 is still running, users won't be that badly affected and so support isn't required.

The one compensating factor with using a third party router, and the Ubiquiti in particular, is the visibility it can give into where the problem lies. Proper logging, debug capability on the daemons running on the router and tcpdump to name a few. As the software packages used on most ISP and consumer routers is likely the same, this level of visibility should be available, but it does of course require a certain level of knowledge to use it. And most importantly an avenue through which to pass the information once gathered.

Forums such as this should be able to help with both, having many knowledgeable users to help gather quality diagnostic information, and the moderators passing that information through to the appropriate support team.

So all that needs to happen is for ISP to unlock the capabilities of their routers, and for them to establish proper support channels. Should be done by the weekend. Smiley Wink

Regards

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 9 of 14

@smf22 writes:

> "Proper logging, debug capability on the daemons running on the router and tcpdump to name a few."

Wow, nice.  I think I'll take another look at Ubiquiti then.

Currently Billion are top of my list, although I should point out that my list is price-limited so a lot of technically excellent equipment simply can't get on it.  I won't be buying until after HH5 is enabled for IPv6, but hopefully that won't be too long now unless BT plans suffer a catastrophe.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist. 😛

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Hi Guys,

There is another thread about this same issue with an almost identical title. Please see my response on it as I believe we discussed this in early March: Re: How do I re-enable IPv6 on my HH6?

We don't have any further updates on it but again this will not affect your connectivity as an IPv4 address will continue to be available.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings