Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 21 of 57

Re: How do I re-enable IPv6 on my HH6?

@smf22

No IPv6 problems here, been perfect since first activated on 8 April or thereabouts, that being when I first noticed router having v6 global address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 22 of 57

As @cloud6856's problem has now resolved itself, I'll ask an only minimally related question.

Are you BT IPv6 users logging the IPv6 prefixes that you are being assigned?  I've seen no info yet on the range of prefixes that are being delegated, nor on the degree of "stickiness" that BT intends to use.  Both are interesting topics.

IPv4 had address exhaustion as its primary driving force behind dynamic address allocation since dynamic provides address reuse, but there is no pressure to reuse IPv6 addresses so delegations could be very long lived without being officially static.  Logging the changes of assigned prefix to understand BT's particular implementation would be interesting.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 23 of 57

the one thing i find strange is everytime i reboot i get ipv6 back everytime so why do i lose it after a few days and why does it restart the dsl connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 57

@MorgaineD wrote: "Are you BT IPv6 users logging the IPv6 prefixes that you are being assigned?  I've seen no info yet on the range of prefixes that are being delegated, nor on the degree of "stickiness" that BT intends to use.  Both are interesting topics."

For the range of prefix being delegate we can work that out. According to BT Peering Information "BT's Internet network capability consists of BT's European Backbone (AS5400), the UK (AS2856)..."

So for the UK, if we look at an Internet route server for prefix that BT announce from AS2856, one of those we see is as follows:

- 2a00:2380::/25 (BT-UKIP-IPV6-AS2856)

When I run a whois for the address I'm currently using it shows it assigned from the 2a00:23c0::/29 block. Playing around with whois for prefix within the 2a00:2380::/25 I can see 2a00:23c0::/27 with a description of BTBROADBAND, and 2a00:23c0::/29 with a description of BTBROADBAND-AGG-56. The other /29 prefix within the 2a00:23c0::/27 block are currently unassigned.

So it would appear at this stage that BT have assigned 2a00:23c0::/29 for at least consumer broadband. And with this space being further divided and assigned as prefix of /56, there's currently 134,217,728 allocations. Plenty to go around.

In terms of stickiness, I'm not tracking it per se, but I've certainly seen different prefix delegated over the last four or so months. When I first used the Hub 6 I saw the prefix 2a00:23c5:5500:d700::/56, and since with the Ubiquiti I've seen 2a00:23c5:xxxx:bd00::/56 and most recently 2a00:23c5:xxxy:a500::/56.

It's understandable the prefix changing between the Hub 6 and the Ubiquiti as the DUID (DHCP Unique ID) will be different for the two routers, but I've not figured yet exactly what causes a change when using the same router.

If I leave the Ubiquiti running it simply renews the lease after 7 days as per the T1 timer in the DHCPv6 PD reply, and the prefix doesn't change. If I manually renew the lease it actually performs a DHCPv6 release and immediate renew, but again I'm not seeing a change. I think the change only comes after a reboot of the router, but I need to verify that.

Regards

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 25 of 57

Just wanted to add on this thread that I'm another person with a 3rd party router that is very capable (ASUS RT-N66U) that is just not picking up an IPv6 address.  Log says 'IPV6CP: timeout sending Config-Requests'.

It's just ridiculous that there doesn't appear to be a way to check if your 'line' should be enabled or not!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 57

@shamus1 wrote:

the one thing i find strange is everytime i reboot i get ipv6 back everytime so why do i lose it after a few days and why does it restart the dsl connection?

@shamus1: The IPv6 prefix you have is requested via DHCPv6 by your router and delegated by an upstream device. As with DHCP on the LAN, there's a finite "lease" period for the prefix, and half way through that lease period the router will attempt to renew that lease. From what I've seen by capturing the DHCPv6 request and reply on the WAN, the lease is for 14 days.

Rather than IPv6 being a cause of xDSL connection resets, are you sure it's not the victim i.e., the xDSL connection drops and then you lose IPv6 when it comes back?

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 27 of 57

The first 32 bits of the prefix I've picked up (on both HH6 and TP-Link VR600) have always been 2a00:23c1, with the remainder varying. With the VR600, I don't get disconnections as I did with the HH6, and I'm finding the prefix I get allocated to be very sticky.

p

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 28 of 57

@MorgaineD

Looking at the router here, the lease time is in the region of 195 days from being renewed.  So fairly sticky, just depends on how much BT tinker with the network I imagine.

Prefixes, I have the router set to mail IP address changes, so list from when I set it up in June last year.

2a00:23c0:c780:200: 25 June

2a00:23c4:c7ed:2a00: 2 October

2a00:23c3:63a8:f000: 29 November

2a00:23c3:63b1:fc00: 6 December **

2a00:23c3:63b1:fd00: 6 December **

2a00:23c3:63b9:d900: 13 December Modem firmware update

2a00:23c3:63ed:4a00: 6 January  Modem firmware update

2a00:23c3:63fb:7000: 9 January **

2a00:23c3:63fd:1f00: 10 January **

2a00:23c3:639a:c300: 17 January **

2a00:23c3:63de:3d00: 14 February **

2a00:23c3:63b4:5800: 21 February (lease renewed by BT)

** times when I was playing with various routers.

Just like to point out the router has never rebooted itself.  Only reboots were down to router firmware updates, last of which was 04 Jul 2016.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 29 of 57

Excellent info from everyone, thanks! 🙂

So, we can start populating a scattergun/checkboard graphic of the 2a00:23c0::/27 BTBROADBAND space for a little fun, it might reveal something interesting.  Come on BT, let's get these HH5's six'ing happily ...

I already have scripted polling of my public addresses set up, so it should start gathering IPv6 delegation info as soon as the HH5 gets enabled for it.  As you're all saying, IPv6 delegations should be much stickier than IPv4, not only because there's no exhaustion pressure for reuse but also because BT will probably want to avoid related support pain from IoT users as the number of connected devices in the home grows.

Although I prefer to do my own monitoring from other connections, is it the case with HH6 that ThinkBroadBand's BQM isn't getting ping response on BT Infinity IPv6 either? --- I recall it wasn't able to on IPv4/HH5, although that was a long time ago now.  Presumably a HH5 limitation, not the line, at least on IPv4.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 57

@MorgaineD wrote "As you're all saying, IPv6 delegations should be much stickier than IPv4".

Perhaps I'm missing something, but in my view what @Liam_@prinknash and I have presented here doesn't seem to demonstrate stickiness. Liam has been delegated 12 different prefix since June 2016. I've been delegated at least three in as many months.

This might be stickier than IPv4, but I wouldn't class it as sticky in any way.

Regards

0 Ratings