Message 1 of 57

How do I re-enable IPv6 on my HH6?

Hi All,

My BT SmartHub is currently reporting:

Hub IPv6 status:

Enabled

IPv6 network status:

Disabled

IPv6 had previously been enabled since late 2016 and was working well. 

I have phoned the support team but they just say that IPv6 is not supported on residential lines. 

How do I get it re-enabled? Could anyone from BT help me?

0 Ratings
56 REPLIES 56
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 57

Re: How do I re-enable IPv6 on my HH6?

This is well known issue it can happen if the hub restarts the only cure I found was to restart of the hub and let it reselect a new IP address
0 Ratings
cloud6856
Beginner
Message 3 of 57

Hi, thanks for your response but this does not work for me. I've tried rebooting from the GUI and a full power-cycle. The result is the same, IPv6 Network Status: Disabled.

I'd love to get this working again if anybody knows what's going wrong.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 57

There is nothing wrong it seems as if IPV has problems in some areas it will resolve its self
0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 5 of 57

as john says a reboot brings it back for me too,mine can be running ipv6 for two weeks and then it will go,also it can be running a couple of days and then it goes no set pattern so dont really know whats doing it?

0 Ratings
cloud6856
Beginner
Message 6 of 57

Yeah, I guess that's the difference here, it has gone for at least a week and reboots are not brining it back. I expect it's a problem with a part of BTs network like people are suggesting.

If anyone gets a chance, it would be inyteresting to see what peoples HH6 report when they lose IPv6 i.e. does it say @"Network Status: disabled" like my one?

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 7 of 57

I think that's the point of the query in the first place, to ask BT staff to inquire what is going on at network level.  The last official announcement we have (from 31st Oct 2016) is that BT's IPv6 network deployment was fully completed, and that HH6 equipment has been enabled to acquire IPv6 delegations.

We know that HH6 are enabled for IPv6 exactly as announced, and @cloud6856's HH6 CPE continues to be enabled for IPv6.  What seems to have disappeared is the IPv6 service on his line, thus the "Network Status: disabled" that he is seeing.  Because BT front-desk support has no idea about IPv6 service whatsoever, the hope is that the BT staff here can make inquiries and provide a better informed answer.

Clearly IPv6 service on the line disappearing and not coming back on a forced CPE reboot is not "normal operation" under any scenario whatsoever.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 57

@cloud6856. Do you see anything related to IPv6 in the Hub log at the time when IPv6 connectvity was lost or when the Hub is rebooted? If you know the time IPv6 first stopped working do you see any entries in the log just prior to this related to TR69? This is the protocol that BT use to manage the Hub.

When the Hub is booted it will send a DHCPv6 request to an upstream device asking to be allocated an IPv6 address prefix. This is similar to how it operates for IPv4, but instead of being assigned a single address as in IPv4, IPv6 allocates a prefix i.e., a range of addresses for you to use. When successful you should see an entry such as:

13:38:00, 21 Oct.,WAN DHCPv6 Client Prefix : 2a00:23aa:bbcc:d700::/56 (valid time = 315360000 / preferred time = 315360000)

I've looked back through some old Hub 6 logs I saved and other things to maybe look for are "WAN DHCPv6 Mode : Statefull", and "WAN Router Discovery Setting Updated".

I noticed another user reporting the same issue as you're seeing in the post New smart hub 6 no ipv6 but says enabled so perhaps there's a change made to the Hub by BT recently that is affecting this.

Regards

0 Ratings
cloud6856
Beginner
Message 9 of 57

That's a good point, I'll take a look at the logs later to see if I can find anything.

My guess is that the HH6 is sending a DHCP6 SOLICIT but not getting a response i.e. "Hub status: enabled", "Network status: disbaled". 

It's likely it's on the BT side, presumably they've been having some issues and have had to turn v6 off for some connections. 

Can anyone from BT comment?

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 10 of 57

Just to add that IPv6 connectivity coming and going doesn't seem to be restricted to the HH6. As I've mentioned on another thread, my TP-Link VR600 lost IPv6 for the best part of three days at one point last month, and I'd made no changes at my end.

p

0 Ratings