cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 11 of 57

Re: How do I re-enable IPv6 on my HH6?

I suspect that these are just BT line configuration problems, ie. faults. They happen on IPv4, and IPv6 obviously isn't immune to them. The problem is getting BT to fix the fault on one's line when the standard support channels know nothing about IPv6 in the first place.

If it turned out not to be a local line fault but that BT were actually rolling back on their full IPv6 network deployment, I might write to the UK IPv6 Council group on LinkedIn about it, as there are several BT employees among the membership including Neil McRae who does most of the BT talks. It might be the place to learn more.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 12 of 57

@MorgaineD I have no knowledge but assumed it was BT playing around with IPv6 provision rather than a line fault as such. We know BT are working on extending IPv6 to older hubs, and I assume they're also doing something about providing IPv6 DNS servers; so it seemed possible that they are still sometimes in 'test' mode and that IPv6 might get turned off and on again from time to time.

Do your BT contacts know when IPv6 DNS is coming?

p

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 13 of 57

I don't think there's been a single peep of information emerging yet about BT servers of any kind being enabled on IPv6.

Perhaps we should set up occasional polling scripts to look for AAAA records for well known BT services, to watch for signs of progress in IPv6 server deployment. Once a day should be ample, as these things don't change very fast.

Something's bound to appear at some point, because BT tends to start off with small unannounced tests first and build up, avoiding a Big Bang. The same as everyone else really --- it's the cautious approach and makes a lot of sense.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 57

@MorgaineD wrote:
I suspect that these are just BT line configuration problems, ie. faults. They happen on IPv4, and IPv6 obviously isn't immune to them. The problem is getting BT to fix the fault on one's line when the standard support channels know nothing about IPv6 in the first place.

If it turned out not to be a local line fault but that BT were actually rolling back on their full IPv6 network deployment, I might write to the UK IPv6 Council group on LinkedIn about it, as there are several BT employees among the membership including Neil McRae who does most of the BT talks. It might be the place to learn more.

I wouldn't see how a local line fault affects IPv6 provision and not IPv4.

The IPv4 and IPv6 sessions both use PPPoE between the users Hub (or third party router) and the BT Consumer Broadband Remote Access Server (BRAS) / Multi Service Edge (MSE). On the BRAS/MSE IPv4 and IPv6 will be configured and operate as separate entities, so it's more likely a fault or IPv6 is administratively disabled at that level rather than some local line issue.

The fact that some users have reported issues and others have not is likely due to the way that users are load shared across BRAS/MSE when they connect the PPPoE session.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 15 of 57

@smf22 writes:

> "The IPv4 and IPv6 sessions both use PPPoE between the users Hub (or third party router) and the BT Consumer Broadband Remote Access Server (BRAS) / Multi Service Edge (MSE). On the BRAS/MSE IPv4 and IPv6 will be configured and operate as separate entities, so it's more likely a fault or IPv6 is administratively disabled at that level rather than some local line issue."

That's exactly the "local" that I was referring to, meaning only that it's not central / BT-wide or else everyone would have been affected.  The behaviour is specific either to his line or to the set of lines served by that equipment.

As you point out, IPv4 and IPv6 are very likely to be configured separately and run independently at that level.  It's entirely possible that some engineer with no awareness of IPv6 has disabled IP provisioning briefly while performing some regional maintenance, and then has re-enabled IPv4 alone, owing to his lack of awareness that there are now two IP stacks deployed on the BT network.

Obviously we can't tell what has occurred.  BT staff making inquires seems to be the only way forward.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 57

Are there any BT employees that use this forum?

I don't think we will get any answers without somebody having a look at the network to see why, for some connections, IPv6 has been removed. Hopefully this is just tempoary but it needs to be on somebodies radar.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 57

I've just checked, and IPv6 is back - so looks like it was just a temporary thing ..

It would still be good if BT investigated though as it seems fairly accepted on this board that IPv6 simply "comes and goes".

People here tend to be more aware of this kind of thing but it does point to a wider quesiton about the stability of BT's IPv6 deployment at this point. I appreciate it's a tricky thing to get right so this is by no means a criticism but hopefully investigating some of these cases will lead to a more stable deployment in general.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 57

Agreed that it needs to be looked at, especially as I don't think it's clear whether the problem is with IPv6 on the Hub 6 or the wider BT IPv6 deployment.

I gave up using the Hub 6 back in October and went to a third party (Ubiquiti) router that has full IPv6 support. This router has been rebooted four or five times during this period and I've had IPv6 support after each reboot without any intervention. Perhaps I'm lucky and always get connected to an IPv6 enabled BRAS/MSE.... or perhpas it's another problem with the Hub.

It'd be interesting to know if other users running IPv6 on third party routers are seeing problems. @Liam_@prinknash: Any issues with IPv6 coming and going?

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 19 of 57

@smf22 wrote:

It'd be interesting to know if other users running IPv6 on third party routers are seeing problems. @Liam_@prinknash: Any issues with IPv6 coming and going?

I mentioned in message 10 on this thread that IPv6 disappeared from my VR600 halfway through last month and didn't reappear for almost three days, with me having made no apparent changes at my end that could have been responsible. I only noticed because I was testing out the IPv6 capabilities of the router. Disconnecting and reconnecting didn't solve the problem. It just seemed to reappear. I've checked every day since then and the IPv6 connection appears stable.

During the days IPv6 was absent, I was able to connect using IPv4 quite happily, so the real life effect was insignificant.

p

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 20 of 57

@cloud6856 wrote:

I've just checked, and IPv6 is back - so looks like it was just a temporary thing ..

Excellent! 🙂

I'm very relieved too.  In the absence of BT support staff knowledgeable about IPv6 (or even aware of its existence), it would be extremely bad if IPv6 sometimes didn't come back at all by itself.

But this BT support issue needs escalating.  After the completion of IPv6 network deployment was announced, I remember saying that the next task was to get BT services enabled on IPv6, but on reflection, getting BT support trained a tiny bit about IPv6 is much more urgent.

Fortunately those two tasks are entirely independent.

0 Ratings