Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
midlife
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

How does Whole Home Wifi work?

Go to solution

I need to say I am a techno thicko. I have fibre to the premises and after an month of **bleep** wifi BT have sorted it and I get about 70mb all the time now so happy.

What the problem, and the BT blerb tell you that you get great coverage, is that you dont get a great coverage in an old sandstone farmhouse. The modem and router is in the lounge and I cannot get a signal in the Kitchen which as the crow flies is only 20 feet away.

So whole home appears to be a good idea but does it work, will I still be using my smart hub 6 or does that go away and will I still get great speed? 

Is it linked to the electiricity circuit as part of the house is ona different electrical circuit?

any help and simple guidance would be great.

thanks

Graham

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: How does Whole Home Wifi work?

Go to solution

@midlife

Good Morning, 

I am glad they have sorted out your speed issues.  With regards to "Whole Home WiFI" the system creates a "mesh network" like this: 

Hub > Disc 1 > Disc 2 > Disc 3 etc. 

1st disc connects to your hub, each disc then connects to the next nearest disc.  You can use the existing hub as well. 

More info at bt.com/wholehomewifi

PS: You may wish to search online for Mesh Network WiFi UK as there are a range of options available, from a range of suppliers. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
midlife
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you CJT80

can I ask how they are linked, I would want one in my kitchen but if I cannot get a signal there now will the disk pick up from the hub.

I have looked at other and each seem to have good and bad reviews. must be honest looking at BT as they have a deal on them making them under £150

they sent me mini connectors as well bnut still on box as no idea how they will help, that along with the original Hub 6 I have as much stock as a BT stockist

Graham

0 Ratings
p1nkfl0yd
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

The discs create a mesh network. The app helps you position the discs effectively

midlife
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks 

so non  wired 

think I will give it a go!!!

a scared old bloke

0 Ratings
p1nkfl0yd
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

The first disc is connected via a ethernet to your hub/router and the other 2 via wifi. You would then trun off wireless on your hub/router for simplicity

0 Ratings
midlife
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

thnaks again that makes sense. will I loose speed if I turn off the wifi from the hub?

0 Ratings
p1nkfl0yd
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Do you mean wifi speed? No. Meant to say, another benefit of a mesh network is handover btween discs as you move around the house (Wi-Fi roaming – IEEE® 802.11k/v)

PeterVM
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@p1nkfl0ydwrote:

The discs create a mesh network. The app helps you position the discs effectively

The discs do create a mesh network but the app is completely dead and useless for me. A manual setup may be required. Other claimed features do not function either and I have an iphone 4S which gets confused when two discs are in range and it runs the battery flat in 10 mins blasting away on WiFi without establishing a connection.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@p1nkfl0yd

you may wish to have a look at several Whole Home WiFi posts before running out and getting one! 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"