Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 29

How is the Smart hub faring now?

Go to solution

I've had a Hub 3 for years. Good range and fairly reliable up until recently when it drops out regularly and the range doesn't seem as good.  

Tried smart hub last year which was dreadful and eventually got the green line of death and returned it for a refund as I bought it from BT. 

Now trying Hub 5 and the range is even worse and despite 30mb recording on my iPad, pages are taking forever to open. Not sure about stability yet.

My questions are...is this behaviour to be expected from Hub 5? 

I have a Hub 6 that BT gave me when I renewed my contract but because of the poor reviews persisting at the time (May this year) I didn't install it. Is it worth giving it a try now and if so, is there anything I should look out for? 

And finally, if these options don't work, can you suggest a third party router that is better than all of these and that has a simple user interface for adjusting kids' access and certain times and configuration that's as simple,e as I find BT hub home pages ? 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: How is the Smart hub 6 faring now?

Go to solution

What update is it up to and is it proving stable? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

Re: How is the Smart hub faring now?

Go to solution

@Burmey wrote:

And finally, if these options don't work, can you suggest a third party router that is better than all of these and that has a simple user interface for adjusting kids' access and certain times and configuration that's as simple,e as I find BT hub home pages ? 

Thanks 

See this page Cheap reliable replacement for home hub.

Take a look at the specification and try theEmulator It has  Parent control  and much more.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Thank you....I take it from that that Hub 5 is expected to behave how I'm finding it and that Hub 6 hasn't improved much since it was released. Is that fair? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

I'm finding that the smart hub 6 is solid now.  Horrendous initially and needed frequent hard resets, then it improved a little however still needed occasional hard resets which in my book still doesnt, make is useable.  So I kept in the cupboard for a while and the latest firmware, SG4B1000B316, has been solid for me.  Since it was installed (I think in august), and I tried the homehub again it hasn't failed once.  So maybe worth another try.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

@Burmey wrote:

Thank you....I take it from that that Hub 5 is expected to behave how I'm finding it and that Hub 6 hasn't improved much since it was released. Is that fair? 

They are not going to be the best for wireless coverage.

Good wifi is very dependent on having two or more external aerials, which is why the BT home hubs perform so badly compared to 3rd party wireless routers, as they only have internal aerials which have a lower ERP (Effective Radiated Power). This is the same for the so called smart hub 6 which tries to improve the performance by using multiple internal aerials, and clever diversity software, with varying results depending on where people site the new hub.

The home hubs are designed to blend into a domestic setting, and external aerial were only showing on the original HH1 and 1.5 which had good wireless performance.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks Keith. Really helpful explanation. 

Is there a black router that you'd recommended like the white one you recommended above? Ridiculous open reach were lazy and installed infinity right next to my tv (yes I know the implications of this) and therefore we'll be looking at it all the time so white isn't ideal. Also, isn't this only an "n" router...don't I need an "ac" too? And presumably this needs a modem...aren't there any with built in modems...I'm limited with plug space! 😱

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

The unit is a combined modem and router, nothing else is needed.

As for the colour, I think all of the TP Link stuff is white, but you could easily hide it behind some black card or piece of wood.

There are other manufacturers, but they are probably more expensive, you could search the forum for other suggestions.

As for wireless speeds, unless you are transferring very large files between devices on your network, then wireless "n" is plenty fast enough, as it will cope with the full BT Infinity speed.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

The VR600 & 900 are black but of course the price?

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR600.html

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks guys. From that exchange I think I'll install the Hub 6 and give it a final chance and then opt for one of the recommended TP links if it's no better than it was for us. Cheers...have a good evening! 

0 Ratings