cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 51

How to assign static IP address to a HP ew2500 Wireless Printer Server

Go to solution

See attached image.

The HP Wireless Printer Server (ew2500) has been set up with a static IP Address (192.168.1 60 . .so below the DCHP range seen specified in the BT Home Hub 5 web interface).

The BT Home Hub 5 can't see this IP address.

The only place to set static IP addresses is asking 'what game or application' I want to set the static IP address to.

This VERY FAST HP ew2500 Wireless Print Server was set up last year with the same BT Home Hub 5 under Firmware version  4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Firware version as per the log extracted from the BT Home Hub 5).
When the HP Wireless Printer Server was set up, the HP engineers had to set a STATIC IP address, and this was done on the HP Wireless Print Server and then the BT Home Hub 5.

Once that was done, the HP Wireless Print Server has worked flawlessy, without having to reboot anything throughout the whole year.

On the 30th June 2017, BT updated the firmware remotely to 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 

All devices reconnected without a problem (laptops, printers, mobile devices etc) expect my HP wireless printer server (ew2500). Myself and the HP engineers have spent a month now trying to get it re-connected.

Have realised now that the ability to give the HP Wireless Print Server and static LAN ip address has 'changed' in the BT Home Hub 5 Web Interface . . ..  .

So, I want to assign 192.168.1.60 from the BT Home Hub 5 to the HP Wireless Printer Server, but it does not appear on the list of devices that the BT Home Hub can see. . . . . . 

Any suggestions? Please don't ask me to reboot the BT Home Hub 5 or my HP Wireless Printer Server. . ..this has been done a millions times over the last 25 days.

Glenn

2017_08_07_ScreenGrapHH5_AskingHowToAssigneIPAddressToHPPrintServer.png

0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 51

Re: How to assign static IP address to a HP ew2500 Wireless Printer Server

Go to solution

The whole point of static IP addresses is that you set them on the device. You can't set a 'static' address on the hub, that is a misnomer it is just an unchanging DHCP allocated address.  The home hub won't 'see' devices that have been allocated a static address in the network map but that doesn't mean you will be unable to connect to it. You don't need to do anything on the hub if you set a static address on the printer.

Port forwarding is something entirely different and will only be required if you wish to print to your printer via the internet from a remote location.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 51

Go to solution

Try going into the hubs advance settings where you should find "Add User Defined Game or Application". This will let you add your printer server.

EDIT: Licquorice is correct. I have assumed you were printing via Internet.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 51

Go to solution

You could try searching Google for 'How to assign static IP address on a HP ew2500'

It brings up loads of links, PDFs, video etc.  Shows how to set static IP in the device.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 51

Go to solution

I have set IP addresses before on the BT Home hub 5 last year, so that the DHCP would NOT asssign those addresses.

Either way, the IP address has been set on the HP Wireless Print Server and and it is NOT connecting.

The sub net mask on the Wireless Printer Server has been set to 255.255.255.0 and the Default Gateway has been set to myBT home Hub 5 as 192.168.1.254 (once again, set on the HP Wirelss Printer Server).

After rebooting the HP Wireless Print Server (disconnecting and LAN cable) and the BT Home Hub, the HP Wireless Printer Server does not connect to the BT Home Hub 5. . . . .  the small round blue LED light on  the HP Wireless Printer Server stays solid when connected. . .. it is flashing slowly indicating it is searchig for the specified network (my WiFi).

The range of DCHP set in the BT Home Hub 5 under Advanced Setting > Home Network > IP addresses is:

192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.254

It actually says this:

DHCP Network RangeIf you change the IP address range, you must renew the DHCP lease and or static IP addresses for all devices on the network

. .. I have tried setting a static IP address both inside that range (being carefull not to clash with one that was already allocated) and one out side that range. . ..

All attempts, and there have been many, failed, in that the HP Wireless Printer Server does not connect to the BT Home Hub 5 like it did for over a year, until the firmware update pushed out by BT on the 30th June 2017.

So, what next?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 51

Go to solution

Liam,

that has been done .. i have had a team of HP engineers look a this.

We have all the documents.

We have used both the CD set up and used the Web Page interface of the HP Wireless Print Server.

Over 30 days have now been spent on this.  . . all the problems started when the firmaware on the BT Home Hub was updated ont he 30th June 2017 by BT . . .  that is not to say that the problem now lies with HP. . ..
it problaby lies with both and this needs to be sorted out by both.

What's my next move?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 51

Go to solution

Get a proper router.

If you have set a static address on the printer, there is absolutely nothing you have to configure on the hub. If the device has been allocated an address it won't even try to get an address from the hub in any case. Are you sure the wireless passkey is correct on the printer? Does it connect via Ethernet?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 51

Go to solution

I suppose you could wait in the hope that a future firmware update resolves the issue.

But I think you would be better off with a good third-party modem/router to replace the hub.

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 51

Go to solution

Three straw stick alternatives:

(a) some alternative routers support fixing a DHCP reservation so the same device always gets the same IP address. This is likely an expensive or time-consuming option.

(b) there are alternative print servers which are considerably cheaper money/time investment. Can you find one that supports your printer(s)? What do you have?

(c) buy a printer with Wi-Fi or ethernet. You've spent at least 30 days on this already, it might be worth investing in a different brand printer.

The EW2500 is old and has pretty variable review scores on reputable reviews sites, e.g. neweqq and amazon etc. There are suggestions there to always have the latest firmware. This is not to say it hasn't worked well for you in the past, but perhaps time to look elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 51

Go to solution

Yes, I am heading towards that . . . getting a 'proper' router.

Its just a shame that I know it was the Firmware update that has stopped this one devicce from not working.

The pass key has been set right . . we are absolutely sure of this.

When programming the HP Wireless Print Server, it was done on the LAN,

and we set up the passkey in a notepad text box, broke the normal wireless connection on the laptop,

and set it back up again by copying and pasting (it wasn't long really anyway). . . .

once the normal wireless connection on the laptop was made,

the same procedure was used to program the HP Wireless Print Server . . . copying and pasting . . .

No success.

Thanks for your re-assurances about the static IP address not really upsetting anything.

I do distinctly remember setting this up a year ago and having to specificy the IP address in the BT Home Hub 5 with last years firmware version though.

I have lost buinsess due to this and have complained to BT and someone is working on this, but everyday I phone and they are still working. . . . . BT and HP need to sit down, get this to work and if necessary get firmaware upgrades for bot the hub and server. . . .

Glenn

0 Ratings