Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davejackson_me
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

How to configure a WiFi Repeater for FON

Go to solution

Hi,

I see other people asking the same question a while ago but no definitive answer could be found, so I'll ask here

I need to repeat a BT FON signal that I can pick up from outside my house. I'm a BT broadband customer but living in a temporary house with no BT connection.

I have a TP Link WA901ND (v5) that I have configured in Universal Repeater Mode. I have clicked the 'survey' button and selected the 'BTWifi-With-FON' network, so the mac address has been picked up. From my phone, I can now select the repeated WiFi network, cannot connect.

Basically, what else do I need to do to allow me to connect to the repeated WiFi network?
Do I disable DHCP on my repeater?
What IP address do I configure my repeater with?
Etc.

Regards.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: How to configure a WiFi Repeater for FON

Go to solution

@davejackson_me 

Its not possible to do this. You will be able to see the network, but it will not be possible to authenticate, for security reasons.

This is to prevent "Man in the middle" intercepts of user traffic, by people setting up fake BT Wifi hotspots.

If it was possible, then other people could log onto your "repeated" signal, and you could intercept their connection via your repeater.

V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

do you have a mobile phone and a data plan? if so, and if you also have a decent mobile signal,  you can set your mobile up as wi-fi hotspot. Just be sure not to exceed your data allowance.

0 Ratings
davejackson_me
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Surely any authentication would be end-to-end and not between the repeater and the FON network access point?

I would have expected that my repeater would connect to the FON network unauthenticated and any authentication would happen on my client (mobile, laptop etc).

As with all public WiFi points, you should be careful how you use them. I Inever carry out banking transactions for instance using public WiFi.

Regards

0 Ratings
davejackson_me
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi V_Meldrew,

I don't want my kids to eat into my mobile data plan - believe me it would spent on YouTube in one day 🙂

I might as well make use of the FON - that's what it's there for.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Without going into too much detail, direct connections to the home hub are tagged with a VLAN ID, and information about the connected device is passed over the network via a secure path.

This information would be missing if a repeater is used, as the home hub would just see the MAC address of the repeater, and not the device connected to it.

When the first home hub 1 was introduced, this transmitted a BT Openzone signal, and it was possible to use a repeater. This "bug" was  quickly fixed on later versions of the home hub 1.

0 Ratings
davejackson_me
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

Good to have a definitive answer at last.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

You can get external USB wireless cards, which will accept an external directional aerial, you could use that with a laptop or desktop PC.

0 Ratings
davejackson_me
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I'm wanting to pick up the signal which I can detect near one of the windows, and repeat it inside the house. We have a number of devices that we use - mostly mobiles and tablets, so your suggestion wouldn't work.

Is it not possible to use my HH5 instead to somehow pick up the FON and repeat it inside the house?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@davejackson_me wrote:

Is it not possible to use my HH5 instead to somehow pick up the FON and repeat it inside the house?

No, that would not be possible either.

One thing that might work, is if you have a laptop which can connect and authenticate to BT Wifi, then the feature build into Windows 10, may work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/4027762/windows-use-your-pc-as-a-mobile-hotspot

This is an update to the Internet Sharing Wizard which was present on earlier Windows OS, and assigns IP addresses from a separate subnet.

You will of course be limited to a session connection time (2 hours?), and would need to be careful not to exceed the fair usage policy.

0 Ratings