Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

How to connect a PC to wifi?

My lodger in my spare room has a Zoostorm PC, with 16GB RAM, Intel i7-3770, CPU 3.40GhZ and Windows 10.

His PC needs to be connected to my BT Infinity 2 via some kind of wifi connection. How do I connect his PC to my wifi?

Apologies in advance is this is in the wrong section.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: How to connect a PC to wifi?

Get a USB wifi adapter, connect to PCs and just login to router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks. Which one do you recommend?
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

From personal experience, wifi on a PC is substandard and not as good as a powerline adapter with ethernet. Wifi is slower and susceptible to interference from other devices, whereas ethernet is somewhat more stable and faster (even on a powerline adapter).

Using a USB wifi dongle also also wastes a USB port on your PC and unless it's connected to a USB 3.0 port, is likely to be substantially slower. USB ports weren't really designed originally to be used to access the internet.

If wifi must be used, you could consider adding a wifi network card to your PC and use a wifi repeater to make the wifi signal stronger nearer the PC, though wifi in general is poor on desktops (again, from experience).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

This may be a better option and more reliable.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-500-kit-075596-8W3T.html

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@SuperSajuuk wrote:

From personal experience, wifi on a PC is substandard and not as good as a powerline adapter with ethernet. Wifi is slower and susceptible to interference from other devices, whereas ethernet is somewhat more stable and faster (even on a powerline adapter).

Using a USB wifi dongle also also wastes a USB port on your PC and unless it's connected to a USB 3.0 port, is likely to be substantially slower. USB ports weren't really designed originally to be used to access the internet.

If wifi must be used, you could consider adding a wifi network card to your PC and use a wifi repeater to make the wifi signal stronger nearer the PC, though wifi in general is poor on desktops (again, from experience).

I am intrigued to know why "wifi in general is poor on desktops" because from experience I have had no problems with it and have generally found it to to be on a par with powerline adaptors.

How is using a dongle a waste of a USB port. If the USB port is being used to provide a service, in this case wireless, how is that a waste particularly if the USB port is not being used for anything else. Is that not one of the things a USB port can be used for.

cub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Ok so I have received the BT Dongle 900 and plugged it into the PC but nothing happens. How do I connect this PC to my wifi?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Did you install the drivers as instructed?

If you did, then there should be a utility to scan for available wireless channels.

See http://connectedhome.bt.com/265650-3/

You would probably have to use the Windows 8 drivers.

0 Ratings
cub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

There was no option to install drivers. The PC hasn't recognised the dongle.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

0 Ratings