cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

How to connect kit to strongest Wi-fi signal?

Go to solution

My SH2 is in an upstairs bedroom so fires the Wi-fi signal through the floor into the lounge below. Signal strength is around -57dB on the 5Ghz channel.

But I have a disk in the lounge and that boosts the signal to -48dB.

But several devices in the lounge have locked on to the SH2 upstairs and not the disk. Why? Is there any way to get them to switch?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to connect kit to strongest Wi-fi signal?

Go to solution

Radio waves travel downwards, hence why TV, Radio and mobile signals are sent out on tall masts.

Unless you've got your disc connected via a wired connection, then it's going to get the same signal strength as your devices, which is why your devices are connecting to your Smarthub.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@Checked2013I have an Android app that shows the signal strength. The signal coming from the second wi-fi source (the disk) is stronger so why doesn't the kit connect to the strongest signal irrespective of whether the signal is vertical or horizontal?

It makes a mockery of a stand-alone disk that is connected purely by wi-fi. At the very least the software should allow the user to choose which hardware (hub or disk) they wish to connect various bits of kit to. The Android app shows which but the user can't change it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

One thing about those apps is the fact they don't show the signal strength going both ways. This is misleading you into thinking you may have a better signal than you actually do.

No matter what wifi mesh system you use, it's always going to be better if they are wired.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

"No matter what wifi mesh system you use, it's always going to be better if they are wired."

Yes, I know that but it's not practical which is why wi-fi is the most convenient vehicle.

"One thing about those apps is the fact they don't show the signal strength going both ways.  is misleading you into thinking you may have a better signal than you actually do."

I honestly don't know what you mean by that. The app shows the signal strength received at the position I'm holding the phone. One device connected to the disc yesterday but today it's switched to the hub. Smart yesterday but not today. Why can't we be given manual control so we can decide?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Relaying a weak signal is not going to give you a strong signal from your devices.

What I mean is that the apps only show the signal strength from the router, but don't show it going to the router. Therefore the signal strength you have from your disc to the smarthub is not going to be as strong because the radio waves are trying to go the opposite way (as i said previously that radio  waves go down)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Checked2013 I employed a bit of common sense and repositioning the hub so the signal to the kit in the lounge wasn’t quite as strong. It’s now firing through a desk at an angle.

The signal from the router upstairs is not weak in the lounge. But the one from the hub is stronger as I said. I used the BT app to check signal strength in the garage where I have a solar inverter and even through a brick wall it’s “Excellent”.

I rebooted my streaming player and now it’s picking up the signal from the disk and so is the other kit - TV,  Blu-ray player. SkyQ is still picking up the signal from the hub so I’ll turn that off and on and that should fix things.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Checked2013 

"Radio waves travel downwards, hence why TV, Radio and mobile signals are sent out on tall masts."

That's a new on on me, obviously changed since I did my Radio Wave Propogation studies. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@Devon_Dave Hopefully when you did your studies, it included the fact that different frequencies have a different propagation effect. I know this is taught in modern studies at University, as it certainly was only a few years ago when I did my studies at university.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Glad I got my information from a more knowledgeable source than university. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.