Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

How to hide a networked PC from the Internet

Go to solution

Hi, I have a HomeHub6 running a home network and all is well.  However, one of these machines runs XP and I'm getting nervous, especially in the light of the recent ransomware attacks, that this machine is vulnerable.  It's an archived machine so I don't want to risk an upgrade to Win 10 and don't use it enough to justify the expense, anyway.

So, how do I keep it on the network while at the same time making sure the Internet can't see this machine?

The help for the HH6 describes Access Control but this is schedule-based and I can't see where to simply turn Internet access off for this one machine.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Duncan

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: How to hide a networked PC from the Internet

Go to solution

The routers firewall prevents access to devices on your LAN, unless you have forwarded a port(s) to the device in question in the router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
So unless I specifically see that machine's IP in the list of Port Forwarding rules, it's safe?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

n a word, Yes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Manually configure its IP address outside of the DHCP range, but do not enter a value for the default gateway, it will then not be able to access any address outside of your local network.

If you need to enter a default gateway, then use a dummy one which does not point to the home hub gateway of 192.168.1.254.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

At the moment I've got Internet Properties set so it's using a proxy of 127.0.0.1 in LAN Settings (bypassed for local addresses), which is definitely blocking outward access.  But that's just outward, isn't it?  Or does it block inward too?  I just want to be sure that if someone comes sniffing around, they don't even see that the XP PC is there...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Unless you have open ports pointing to the XP machine it will be unreachable from outside. IE: the Internet.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

They will not see it from the Internet, so the only possible risk is if the XP machine can access the Internet, and downloads malicious content.

Inbound connections are only possible if ports are forwarded to the PC, as already explained.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Is there a way of having it so XP can access the Internet but the Internet can't access XP?  Sorry for all the dumb questions but my knowledge is patchy at best on this stuff and I'm very grateful for the help 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Sorry, we crossed in the post there...

0 Ratings