cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How to improve wifi signal to a summer house in the garden

Go to solution

We have recently had a wooden summer house installed in our garden - about 10m from the main house. The wifi signal we get in there from our home broadband is ok but we want to improve it so we can stream movies etc. The router is in the front of our house (so a bit away) but we do have a BT disc in our rear lounge which overlooks the garden. The summer house has an electric feed i.e. plug sockets.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to improve wifi signal to a summer house in the garden

Go to solution

Before you spend money on signal extenders, additional cabling, or adapters, do check whether your existing home WiFi signal reaches your place. Make sure your router is an up-to-date- model as older units are often less powerful than newer versions; contact your ISP to see if you qualify for a free upgrade. To improve the reach of your home set-up, you could try moving your router so that it’s closer to your place, and remove obstacles like trees and shrubs which might interfere with the signal.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Have a look at WiFi hotspot powerline extenders, the simplest option to extend a good WiFi signal.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks for this. I already use a powerline extender in the house for my sons room. If I buy another port would I be able to connect it to the existing set up or will I have to buy a 3 pack kit? Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

You can only connect one extender to the router with multiple slaves. In theory extenders of the same standard but different manufacturer should be compatible but that is not always the case in practice. If you can obtain a further slave of the type you already have, that is all that will be required.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@RichardL2 

Before going down the powerline adapter route, make sure that your summer house in on the same electrical mains ring as your house. Powerline adapters may not work if the mains ring is separate from the ring on which your router and hence powerline master is on. Test it out using the slave powerline adapter in your son’s room (might need bribery!) before buying new units.

I sympathise with your predicament as I have a garden office and a good internet speed is difficult to obtain. 

0 Ratings