cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

How to name devices on home network

Go to solution

I was very pleased to move to 500MB/s FTTP last week, but knew that there may be some problems with switching ISPs (moved from PlusNet).

I have most of my devices set up to use the BT Smart Hub 2 as the DHCP server, but I have a D-Link switch, Xerox printer and Synology NAS that I want on static IPs.  That seems to be easy enough to achieve (yes, they're outside the DHCP range), but although I can ping the IP address, pinging the name fails to resolve.  Am I missing something?  It does look like that address page is just something nice to look at, rather than actually offering any functionality.

So, this works:
ping 192.168.1.45

But this doesn't:
ping diskstation

It seems incredible to me that the router is so locked down that it can't resolve the device name to its address?  Isn't local name resolution one of the most basic functions for a home router?  The PN router offered it and was a number of years old?

Am I going to have to fork out for a decent router?  Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this, or for a new router?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to name devices on home network

Go to solution

I've just tried pinging "diskstation" on my network (which uses an RT-AX88U router) and it works fine, although I have to wait another week before my BT FTTP is installed, so I am having to access the internet via the BT mini hub that they sent me to keep me going (my Plusnet service was terminated prematurely) and keep swapping between the two networks, depending on what I want to do.

Screenshot - 07_12_2021 , 14_34_46.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@SixtiesFan - this is what I don't understand - the BT router is the DHCP server and I've marked my NAS with a static IP.

The NAS identifies itself as 'diskstation' but the router didn't recognise that (used the MAC address for the name).  No matter, I named it on the router as well: but that's ignored.  It would make sense to me that any names are stored in a local DNS table of some sort?

Thanks for your 3rd party router details as well.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Also, if you want to use your own router then I read this elsewhere on the forum (and it worked for me):
"Use bthomehub@btbroadband.com with the password 'bt' when setting up the PPPoE networking protocol."
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The BT Home Hub Network map is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice 😂🤣 Excellent simile!

I can understand producing goods of varying abilities to meet different price points, and even locking a device down to prevent users creating a headache for you.  But this seems to be the equivalent of churning stuff out for the express purpose of creating landfill?  What a waste of time, effort and resources!

I guess it's a new router for me then... my old Billion 7800N tops out at about 100MB/s and a Huawei 4G router I got as a stop-gap last year tops out at about 200MB/s.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

IMHO ASUS routers are a good third-party alternative. I currently have the RT-AX88U, which is good if you want a wall-mounted unit that you can feed from above as in my case (see photo) but a similar spec but slightly newer model is the RT-AX86U, which is great if you want to have it on your desk or a small shelf as it has a small footprint, but on the downside, it cannot be directly mounted onto a wall. There is a very active forum of experts for ASUS routers as well and an alternative modified version of the stock firmware (called Merlin) if you want additional features.

Screenshot - 08_12_2021 , 10_34_01.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
I ordered an Asus RT-AX58U late last night. I was very tempted by something higher-spec but decided against it. My house is wired up with CAT6 and WiFi is only for the mobiles (and good enough, frankly).

I may repurpose one of the old routers as a WiFi repeater in the office, or buy another cheaper Asus that could mesh with this one.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Seems like a good choice.

0 Ratings