cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

How to prevent my son overriding restricted Wifi access at night

Go to solution

On the BT app I thought I had scheduled Wifi to disconnect at night time on my 15-year old son's desktop computer. However, in the middle of the night he resets his computer so as the restrictions no longer apply.  Even though the "reset" computer has the same PC-id, the night time controls do not work because the PC appears as a new device on my BT app.  I've tried changing the password on the hub, but that doesn't work as I have to input the new password in the morning so as he can do school - I can't do that every day for the whole family.

There doesn't appear to be a facility on the BT app to schedule the Wifi to switch off to all devices at night - that would be the most helpful answer.

I cannot unplug the hub, or use the "pause Wifi immediately" function , because I go to bed earlier, and the rest of the family want Wifi to be on until later.

Is there really not an option to schedule the Wifi to disconnect from all devices at at night?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: How to prevent my son overriding restricted Wifi access at night

Go to solution

Hi @Dave1000 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, the pause wifi option is the only way I'm aware of to turn off the connection to everything and I appreciate you've mentioned that's not practical when other members of the household still need access after you've gone to bed.

Would the Homework option in the parental controls be suitable? You can set customised filter times to block certain content such as gaming and social networking sites. 

Thanks 

Neil

Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

For every software solution there will be a way easily found on the Internet for any computer wise 15 year old to circumvent it. 

By far the best solution is to either remove the PC from his room at night or if the power lead can be removed take that away at night until he learns the rules of the house. 

Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Open  http://192.168.1.254/bt_access_control.htm in a browser, I've not done it myself but it seems self explanatory.

Edit: That's assuming you have the Smart Hub 2

Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Thank you for suggestion.  I had tried that too.  By logging into  //192.168.1.254/bt_access_control.htm and selecting advanced controls, it does let me switch off all Wifi to everyone, but only from now.  I can't seem to pre-schedule it to switch it all off all Wifi to everyone at 10pm every night, but I do appreciate your time in suggestion it Les-Gibson.   

When I searched for my discussion by typing "my son" in the search bar - it came back with dozens of similar discussions about 15-year olds who can hack their way round WiFi restrictions and parental controls ...some discussions go back to 2016, so its not a new issue with the BT app. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

It's not a new issue with tech savvy 15 year olds who will outwit any attempted technology solution.

Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

@Dave1000 

More chance with a third party modem/router. My Asus DSL-AC68U has time scheduling fixed by MAC Address which should work fairly well. Likewise wifi can be time controlled as well.

Alternatively physically remove his keyboard at bed time.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

@TimCurtis wrote:

@Dave1000 

More chance with a third party modem/router. My Asus DSL-AC68U has time scheduling fixed by MAC Address which should work fairly well. Likewise wifi can be time controlled as well.

Alternatively physically remove his keyboard at bed time.

That will only work until his son searches how to change/spoof MAC addresses and if he is using a Windows computer he can always use the On Screen Keyboard.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
Yes - simple solution to remove keyboard is excellent idea. Thank you. (Sssh don't mention the spoofing the keyboard on screen)
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Remember and stop his pocket money so that he doesn't spend £5 on a new keyboard or borrow one from a friend.

Please keep us updated on how long it takes for him to circumvent your efforts.