cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: How to prevent my son overriding restricted Wifi access at night

Go to solution

@Dave1000 

With a modem/router like mine (Asus DSL-AC68U) you can set rules that only specific MAC addresses are allowed to connect and any others - spoofed or not - will be rejected.

Then there are time schedules that can be set again for specific MAC addresses.

Pretty good solution really.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

So what happens if you spoof the MAC to that of a device that is white listed and is allowed onto the system?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution
It took him 24 hours to circumvent that effort. I put the computer in the loft last night. He is supposed to be working and revising for his final year 11 assessments...Most of his subjects use online resources and expect typed submissions online - so that adds to the conflict. Bring back National Service.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

As a former son, I can assure you they are hard-wired to resist control.  Rather than seek a technological solution a direct bargaining session is needed - it may be bribery but getting Apple to fix it won't work.

Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

Phil from BT Customer Services in Middlesbrough has found a solution in Parent Controls which seems to be working.  He suggested I could include gaming in my Parent Controls, and with BT Hub 2 you can schedule times for when Parental  Controls are ON/OFF.  Mine run from 10pm to 7am.  My son has not been able to overcome this and because he can no longer play games after 10pm he goes to bed at a proper time.  Hoorah 🙂 

Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

@Dave1000wrote:

Phil from BT Customer Services in Middlesbrough has found a solution in Parent Controls which seems to be working.  He suggested I could include gaming in my Parent Controls, and with BT Hub 2 you can schedule times for when Parental  Controls are ON/OFF.  Mine run from 10pm to 7am.  My son has not been able to overcome this and because he can no longer play games after 10pm he goes to bed at a proper time.  Hoorah 🙂 

.............Or has he just gone to bed because he wants you to think you've succeeded ?  😏 

Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

@Dave1000wrote:

.............Or has he just gone to bed because he wants you to think you've succeeded ?  😏 

Carlusha_1-1620338221599.pngCarlusha_2-1620338236032.png

Message 18 of 21

Go to solution
Maybe, but I'm not sure he is that clever. He is clever pushing buttons, but not at interacting with humans, so I hope not. He has stirred from his pit every evening so far, just after 22.00, and seldom does he monitor the time as closely as that normally. To the neutral observer, this might seem like rubbish parenting....but that is why we invest in parent controls and suchlike, to help us with enforcement. Thank you for everyone's contributions 🙂
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

or password control his pc and don't tell him what it is.....

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

@chriso57 wrote:

or password control his pc and don't tell him what it is.....

Which will require the parent to log him on every time he wants to use the PC and once logged on, the child can find the password for his particular log on relatively easily if he knows how and if he doesn't know he soon will with a search of the Internet.