Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WildBill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

How to request a "Move Order" from BT?

Hi All,

I wonder if you would be able to offer any advice as me currently getting nowhere and being passed pillar to post.

I recently attempted to order the BT Total Entertainment Pack to upgrade my current BT TV service to Ultra HD 4K.

During the order process I was informed my FTTC Infinity 2 downstream speed was 48mb and 50mb was required in order for the order to be placed. I explained I was able to watch Netflix in 4K without any issue, but alas the BT ordering computer said no!

A few weeks later I saw a BT Openreach engineer outside my house making repairs to a neighbouring property. I had a quick chat with him, explained the situation and asked would there be any way to improve my line quality by a few mb's in order to get passed the BT ordering computer. He agreed to call in after he had finished his current job and would put his tester on the line to see if it would benefit from a Broadband Boost service offered by BT.

He tested the line that was approx. 1.5km from the cabinet and said that 48mb's was actually quite good and the readings on the line were also very good. He did not feel a Broadband Boost service would pull anything extra from the line. 😞

The engineer then went onto explain that my property was roughly located in between 2 DP points (Telegraph Poles) and the pole he had been working on for a neighbour was a few hundred metres closer to the cabinet than the pole I was connected to. He also stated the connection speed on that pole was 65mb to 70mb. 

Excellent I thought, how I get my phone line moved to another DP?

He explained to ring BT and request a Move Order and it would probably cost the same as a new phone line (£130) as they would just run a new drop cable form the other pole to my property.

Flooded with happiness and almost a little tear of joy BT sales was my next port of call!

I will summarise the following as several hours of being passed pillar to post will be boring to read...

1. BT Sales unable to order as the option not on their system. Advised to ring BT Openreach, number provided.

2. BT Openreach - Yes a move order possible, in fact it quite an easy thing to provision. However, we do not deal with customer’s / end users directly and advised to contact my service provider BT and request a Move Order.

3. BT Sales contacted again and they put me through to the BT Moving Home Team.

4. BT Home team advised I was not moving home and they transferred me the broadband faults department.

5. BT Faults department unable to assist as I did not have a fault (Surprise Surprise).

6. Called BT Sales AGAIN, and they transferred me to BT India I assume to arrange to send me a new Home Hub!

At this point I kind of lost the will to live and thought my 25+ years as a loyal BT customer would have had some value.....

Can anyone please advise me who at BT I can speak to to request and simple Move Oder as advised by BT Openreach?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Best Regards

Bill.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: How to request a "Move Order" from BT?

Just a guess but as it is your telephone line that needs moved, it will probably be a telephone move order that you need to make not a broadband move order.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Moving your line to another pole would be unlikely increase your speed as the overall line length would be about the same as it is now that is if Openreach will do it this sort of thing has been asked before an the answer has been no
0 Ratings
WildBill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Well, the BT Openreach engineer tested my pole and the neighbours pole and stated the line length according to his test equipment was a few hundred meters shorter (my pole is at the end of a leg DP 367 compaired to DP 363 for the other pole). He seemed to know his stuff.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

openreach would not move your line onto another DP for a speed increase.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
WildBill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

@Devon_Dave Do you work for BT or have a source for the information you have provided?

This goes against the information provided by a few Openreach staff members now!

I find it mind blowing that a company that is in the business of making money won't allow a customer to purchase extra services and in order to do so pay extra for a new line to be provided. Openreach call it a "Move Order", I am still yet to discover what BT call it.

Maybe its just not worth the hassle anymore and a move to a new supplier might be easier....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

there are many postes like yours on the forum and openreach have said that they will not move your connection to a different cabinet just so you can improve your internet connection  as all ISPs apart from cable use openreach the answer will be the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

See link from Openreach

"There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another".

http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

0 Ratings
WildBill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I really wish people would take the time to read the opening post properly.

I am not asking to be moved to another cabinet, I live between 2 DP's.

Pole 1 is a few hundred metres closer to the SAME cabinet as pole 2. My current pole is at the end of the LEG etc :S

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Would this part of the above not apply  the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points.  and while you are not asking to be moved to a different cabinet you are asking to be moved to a different DP.

0 Ratings