cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

How to set up BT WiFi?

I have just moved into a new flat and BT have sent me a new router. In the box was only the router and the power cable/wire and plug. There wasn’t an ethernet cable or micro filter or nothing. I’ve powered on the router, it works but the light stays purple which means the broadband isn’t connected or whatever. I am sure all I need is an ethernet cable and then I plug one end in to the BT wall socket and then the other end in to the router then it should work. I just want to make sure that’s correct because I am not sure. Also I don’t know if they’re suppose to supply an ethernet cable in the box because I didn’t get one. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

CA3A12F9-6595-4FBD-8CDC-7D6BCB2F39DB.jpeg

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to set up BT WiFi?

You will need a cable to connect the hub to the phone socket. It is not an Ethernet cable it is a phone cable. It should have been supplied with the hub.

Have a look at the relevant link to your broadband set up and type of hub that you have.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-can-t-connect/i-can-t-connect-...

The wireless password is on the label on the hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hiya. You need an rj11 modem cable to go into the hub and the phone socket on the wall. You also need a micro filter as it seems your master socket only has one hole. If it has two then no filter needed 

These should of came with the hub but off you need them fast you can find them locally too in computer shops curries etc then as long as your service is active you should get broadband 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

I suspect the phone socket is actually the one on the left. You would need a microfilter, a couple should have come with the home hub.

If you plug a phone in, you should get dial tone.

Is this a new build flat?

0 Ratings