cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrDoLittle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

How to stop BT Smart Hub broadcasting BTWifi-X and BTWifi-with-FON

Ok, I know this must have been discussed before but I cannot get a definative answer.

How do you stop the BT Smart Hub broadcasting on SSID's BTWifi-X, BTWifi-with-FON and BTHub4-WSMN_EXT?

On the Hub Status page my hub shows "BT Wifi Status: Active" even though I have opted out and been on numerous calls with BT to get this disabled.

I've been told by the BT help desk that opting out stops anyone being able to connect to these networks but does not stop the hub broadcasting the signals. Indeed I can connect to the BTWifi-with-FON network but (because I am opted out) I get the webage that asks me if I want to subscribe to the service.

Does anyone know how to stop these being broadcast?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to stop BT Smart Hub broadcasting BTWifi-X and BTWifi-with-FON

Technically it should switch off on the hub some time after you turn it off in your account.  Unfortunately BT Wifi seems to have a habit of enabling on the account page.  It did on mine after I turned it off.  Seemingly a firmware update or factory reset can re-enable it on the hub as well.  The only guaranteed way of not having the BT Wifi signal broadcast is to invest in a third party router.

I don't use hubs so the issue does not arise.

0 Ratings
DrDoLittle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Liam, thanks for the reply, I agree the only sure way is to invest in a non BT router.

BT advise that it can take upto 30 days to be disabled, not a great service in this 24x7, always connected, instant response world in which we live today.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

@DrDoLittle go into BT Fon page here https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btwifi&utm_source=ATL&utm_medium=FURL&utm_con... and Opt in, then you should should get a welcome email from BT Fon otherwise give it approximately 2 hours and then Opt out and give it 48 hours to disable (sometimes disabling can take longer).

0 Ratings