cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

How to turn off BT-Wifi on Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Can somebody enlighten me as how one turns off the BT-Wifi hotspot option on my Smart Hub 2.

Not happy with the idea that strangers can piggy back on ones connection.

Found online instructions that relate to "your package" and "inclusive extras" BUT these cannot be seen in my BT account, NOR can I see any options under the Hub Manager.

THANKS

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: How to turn off BT-Wifi on Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Hi @SW123456,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry you haven't been able to opt out of BT WiFi online. If you send me your details, I'll be able to give you a hand.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

@SW123456 

In truth it's not really an issue as you always get priority and others can't get into your network.

Also it can be useful when you're out & about to get a wifi hotspot for browsing or wifi calling.

Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

See link about BTWifi.

Get wireless Internet | Find wi-fi hotspots | BT Wi-Fi (btwifi.co.uk)

Depending on where your house is situated you will find that very few people will actually use it.

Due to the range of BTWifi which is only tens of meters in open ground and obviously diminishes when your house walls are blocking the signal it might not even be able to be used by others.

It is more of a benefit to you if you have limited data on your mobile phone and you can use it in a cafe or pub rather than having to stand outside somebody's house to use the Internet.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

If its so poor to use from domestic locations- its curious how its on by default and so hard to find to how to disable...

Personally I would never use an unsecured network wherever I was

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @SW123456 Thanks for letting me know that you managed to opt-out and that the hub has stopped transmitting the BT wifi SSID

For anyone following this thread, these are the steps you need to follow to opt-out. Log in to MyBT using a web browser, click Your Products and scroll down the page. Click learn more under the BT wifi section, from that page you can choose to opt-out 

Thanks 

Neil

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

The concept is one that has passed its time and BT should discontinue it, at least on the domestic hubs.

It can still be a damned nuisance even when you can get it turned off.  Back in the HH5 days, not only did it take me several attempts and chats with customer support to get it turned off but even then, the damned thing had an irritating habit of switching back on after a while, (and yes, I know that shouldn’t be possible).

I also acquired a second unit, (when a relative passed away, back in the days before they had the cheek to ask for the equipment back after you’ve paid through the nose for it…but that’s another story).  If I used this unit, it was still turned on…suggesting it is linked to the MAC address rather than the account.  So, if you change the hub for any reason, you’ll need to go through the whole damned rigmarole again.

This is the main reason I stopped using BT equipment and went with my own router.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I did this and the BT-WiFi SSID remained on my router. The only thing it did was to stop me being able to connect vis BT-WiFi myself.

I factory reset the router and when it all turned back on and configured itself, the BT-WiFi SSID was gone. After a day or two the SSIDs reappeared.

How do I remove the BT-WiFi and BTWifi-X SSIDs from my router?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

you should be able to opt out from MYBT as the link now appears fixed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply.
It already says I'm opted out.
But still the SSIDs are there.
I don't really want to opt in again, just so I can opt out. There must be a way I can just turn them off?
0 Ratings