Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iansharp
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

How to unblock a port - BT Smart Hub

Hi,

I am unable to access a web page that gives access to the control panel (cPanel) at my web hosting provider. They have advised I need to unblock port 2083 as the firewall on my new BT Smart Hub is blocking access.

BT's chat help directed me to BT's instructions for doing this but it's not clear what values to enter and nothing I have tried opens up access.

I have seen a suggestion that it's necessary to use a different router - surely not?

If anyone can advise I would be very appreciative.

Best,
Ian

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to unblock a port - BT Smart Hub

First you need to create a firewall rule and give it a meaningful name, enter 2083 in all four boxes marked Port number and then assign to the device you wish to use by selecting it from the drop-down. Select TCP/UDP, Save it and it's all done

0 Ratings
iansharp
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thank you Victor.

Have followed your instructions, but the web page still times out. I have explored this issue with the hosting company (Pay Monthly Hosting) and they are certain it’s an issue with the firewall. This is confirmed because I can access the page on my mobile using data rather than BT WiFi.

Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks, 

Ian

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

You could try creating a second rule to open port 80 and assign it to the same device

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

If you are initiating the connection it is nothing to do with any firewall. Its more likely a DNS problem, try changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on your device (you can't change DNS settings on the hub).

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

@iansharp 

Any luck?

If not you could try launching a command prompt (it may need to be in admin mode) and typing the following

telnet {your domain name.com} 2083 (no brackets) (telnet might not be available if your machine is a clean W10 build)

If you get a message along the lines of Unable to Connect or something similar then BT are blocking port 2083, if it says connected then they are not

0 Ratings