Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
protazy
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Huawei 612 Modem much slower speed than BT Hub 6

Hello there,

I've recently purchased an OpenWRT router which I connected via Openreach Huawei 612 vdsl modem with my BT Infinity broadband. It works, however the download and upload speeds are much slower than of the original hub 6, for example on hub 6 download is close to 50 mbs and upload 9mbs, when connected via huawei modem download 30 upload only 0.5. 

Am I missing something here? Why such a huge difference between them? 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Huawei 612 Modem much slower speed than BT Hub 6

Are those values you quoted, line rates or download speeds? The HG612 is very old now, so components inside it are likely to be gradually failing. You will be much better of using the BT Smart Hub rather than the HG612. They were great back in the day, when they were provided with the Infinity service, but they're not so good nowadays.

0 Ratings
protazy
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Huawei 612 Modem much slower speed than BT Hub 6

these were download speeds. Line rates when hub 6 is connected are
Maximum data rate:
U8968 / D54817

Can't tell for sure what the rates were for Huawei in the morning as didn't write them down, but I'm pretty sure Down was below 30000

Currently Download seems to be up and Huawei reports:
U588 / D54997

Broadband tests don't confirm the download rate speed, it is rather around 30, upload is still 0.5.

I don't think the age of the modem has anything to do with the speeds here, though if I won't find out what is it I'll likely use hub 6 as a modem with disabled dhcp and wireless and let my own router do the job.
0 Ratings