Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsl57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Hub 5 to Hub 6 upgrade failed to connect to the internet

Go to solution

I setup a Hub 6 offline with all the settings from my Hub 5, then tried a direct plug-for-plug replacement.

All of the in-house devices came up with their identical IP addresses and interconnectivity was fine, but the Hub 6 refused to connect to the internet. BT say they cannot help because it is a secondhand factory-reset device.

Can anyone advise on this ?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Hub 5 to Hub 6 upgrade failed to connect to the internet

Go to solution

@gsl57 wrote:

BT say they cannot help because it is a secondhand factory-reset device.

Can anyone advise on this ?

I don't understand what you mean by this if you got the hub from BT that they won't help.

If you purchased it yourself from somewhere other than BT then I can understand why they would not help because it is not their device.

You should first of all establish if the Smarthub does in fact work. Carry out a factory reset of the Smarthub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

Once it restarts try connecting one device using either by Ethernet or wireless using the passkey on the label.

If it works OK you can then change your SSId and wireless passkey and connect one device at a time to see if they work. If they won't connect then you know it is a problem with the SSid/Passkey change and you can then fault find from there.

0 Ratings
gsl57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
I did all that, and everything works except the broadband connection. BT say the software is out of date, can this be updated off-line ?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

The software can not be updated off line. The "old" software would still work, why wouldn't it, so yet again the BT customer services are talking rubbish.

Is it a new hub supplied by BT or did you buy a second hand one from else where?

0 Ratings
gsl57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I bought it secondhand, they say they cannot diag it due to out-of-date s/w.

The fact is it doesn't get a broadband connection in the same place as my Hub5 which I have swapped back to.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

sounds like you bought a faulty hub - maybe need to go back to wherever you bought it from and look for refund/replacement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

The Smarthub updates automatically when connected to the Internet. The fact it does not have the most up to date software is irrelevant as regards whether or not it would work.  As you never purchased or was supplied the Smarthub from BT I am not surprised that they won't help you. 

I would agree that you would appear to have a faulty Smarthub and you should seek recompense from who ever you got it from.

0 Ratings
gsl57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I think for £10 I will use it as another wifi access point.

Many thanks for your info.

0 Ratings