cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Hub 5B re-boots every 4 to 5 days

Update on 11/02. The TP Link VR900 v2 is working well. WiFi coverage, particularly on 5GHz is impressive as is the improvement in data speeds at longer distances from the router. We are getting 44MB download at 10m. Since 5GHz didn't even work on the Home hub 5B, this is a real help, as 2.4GHz is very congested here. More significantly, within two days of disconnecting the Home Hub 5 and connecting the VR900, my VDSL line speed has been upgraded from 10000/44000 to 10000/49000. Signal to noise has improved nearer to what it should be at 6dB. It's now at 8dB (was 9.8dB). Whether this will stay is still questionable as there are some DSL packet errors showing in the VR900 logs. These are from a couple of re-syncs, as I am not seeing them creep up during the day. I get a feeling my line gets occasional impulse noise, as even the VR900 has dropped the VDSL connection once a day, according to the logs. So that issue is not cured. I have my suspicions about one of our freezers' thermostats being the culprit. I am using a MW radio in the kitchen tuned between stations to see whether there are any big crackles when the freezers turn on or off. So, first impressions seem good. The 5MB download speed increase is nice if it stays.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

pity the tplink didn't solve the drops in connection so maybe as you say there is a problem from something in your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 13 of 20

@imjolly update on the drop-outs and for any other intersted parties. I have now decommissioned my built in Bosch freezer and I'm using a spare freezer in the garage. So far there have been no dropouts. I have suspected for some time that the RFI suppression on this freezer may be dodgy. In September last year I had to replace all the BRK mains powered smoke alarms in my house and they started chirping randomly (often during the night). I isolated this issue down to mains spikes caused by a fridge or freezer. It seems likely that these infrequent spikes radiate a sudden intense burst of RFI that is picked up by the phone line, being in close proximity to the mains wiring in the house. 

I spoke to Bosch and they can replace the starter relay, capacitor and RFI components on the freezer, so I hope that fixes it. I am going to wait at least 10 days before booking the Bosch engineer, as no router has ever gone that long without re-synchronising. We're up to day 6 today and so far there has only been one downstream packet error and no re-syncs. Previously I had 3300 in five days.

The TP Link VR900 router seems very stable. Much better download speeds over WiFi.

My hope is that I will eventually lose the banded profile on my line, if things stabilise. I am now on 10000 / 49000, which is a significant improvement over 10000 / 44000 with the HH5B. Interestingly my ping time to bbc.co.uk is 6mS, which seems fast, so i don't know if interleaving is now off.

Thanks for your interst in this case.

Contributor
Message 14 of 20

The Bosch engineer came today to take a look at the freezer that's been interfering with my broadband. The engineer found a bad starting device (which was discoloured due to overheating). Hope this solves the problem. Thought I'd share the findings in case someone else gets fridge or freezer interference periodically causing WAN disconnections (re-syncs) of the broadband line.Failed Start Device on Freezer #1Failed Start Device on Freezer #1Overheating visible on Start DeviceOverheating visible on Start Device

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

really hope that solves your problem with drops in connection and gets your connection back to normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Thanks. I will confirm one way or the other. Appreciate your help, advice and support.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Hello,

Did getting your freezer fixed solve the issue? My smart hub 6 loses sync (not reboot) at almost exactly 9.42pm every 5 days. The regularity of this makes me think I have similar issue where a sudden noise burst causes the router to drop?

My noise margin does seem to dramatically change shortly before and after the router has reconnected too as I watch and refresh the stats page as it happens.

What is the distance between your router and fridge, I presume the larger distance between the two means less interference.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Hi Andy,

My freezer is the opposite side of the house to the router, probably 25m away. The router's upstairs too and has a dedicated line with no extensions hanging off it.

Having the starting device and run capacitor changed on the freezer has not fixed the WAN connection dropping and re-syncing. I've still had 3 WAN re-syncs in 17 days at random times, so the issue may be marginally better, or the freezer might have been a total 'red herring' and the noise coming from somewhere other than this house.  I also get some CRC errors on the downstream path showing on my TP Link router. These vary from next to none per day, to several thousand on the days where a WAN resync occurs.

The TP Link router (VR900 Mk2) does seem a little more resilient to noise than the HH5, probably becuase it has the latest Broadcom chipset. The connection speed has stayed at 5MB higher than I got with the HH5 too (49MB down vs. 44MB down).  This is despite the occasional WAN re-sync.

I think that sudden burst/s of noise are the problem here too. As the line is probably 200m long from the cabinet, that noise could be being picked up somewhere along the way. 

If your disconnections happen at a set time then they are unlikely to be caused by a freezer or fridge, as the compressor will switch on or off entirely randomly. Have you looked at your central heating controls (and possibly those of your neighbours) to see whether the heating is turned off at that time of the evening? 

Other major sources of noise are Plasma TV's. My neighbour had one, which I think he may have got rid of thankfully. The noise it generated was truly horrendous.

Good luck.

Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Hi thanks for the reply. Our heating is not timed, it is controlled by thermostat, so it can't be that. I did ask my neighbour but they couldn't think what it might be although they are not technical so not fully convinced by their answer. It probably isn't central heating, as my line resyncs every 5 days and not every day, and central heating would be timed on a daily basis.

There is nobody occupying the other house next door though, so the nose burst can't be coming from there.

Interestingly I am also close to my cabinet like yourself, I am probably 100 metres or less.

Could the noise really come at any point between the cabinet and my house? If so, it looks like I'll have to put up with the issue and pray it goes away on its own accord.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Update on the Infinity WAN drop-out issue.

Actually, fixing the  failing freezer compressor start mechanism seems to have resulted in a huge improvement in line stability. The odd thing is the freezer was working normally, but the start device appeared to be overheating and I suspect had been arcing internally.

The result is very positive - the router WAN connection has not dropped out in the last month and the line errors have dropped to zero. I think the earlier WAN dropouts must have been caused by work on the BT cabinet (or some other event/s outside this house), because we now have a stable 49MB/10MB line which is rock solid. Signal to noise ratio has come down to 7.9dB from over 9dB before. This is getting nearer the 6dB target.

In addition, problems we were having with the mains powered smoke detectors in the house - where they would randomly chirp - I think were also caused by mains interference from that freezer. The alarms are silent now, as is my phone line.

So, if you're haing mysterious broadband outages take a look at your household appliances, particularly your fridge and freezer!

0 Ratings