Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshuaharry12
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Hub 6 / Custom DNS / Modem mode?

hi all,

I have a custom web filter system that in order for it to work, I need the pc's/servers etc to connect to the DNS, I was wanting to change the DNS on the hub 6 however it looks like I cant because bt block chancing of it which i find personally very stupid, howevver i tried setting the hub 6 into modem  mode and then allow me to connect a 2nd routor as the main routor, howevver i cannot get the hub6 into a modem mode, ive looked online about getting a VDSL modem from openreach, howevver how will this work as its still going thourth bt, and it will still be forcing there dns?

i am on infinity 1 with 40mpbs  / 8mpbs up ( if needed ) 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Hub 6 / Custom DNS / Modem mode?

You can not set any BT hubs to act as a modem only.

You could use the Openreach modem. It is your router that you use that will set the DNS not the modem. You could also  buy a third party VDSLModem/router which will allow you to set your chosen DNS. 

0 Ratings
Joshuaharry12
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

hi,,

Yes, i was told that howevver i was also told that if you do not use bt's hub they know that and will not suply the interenet connection down the line?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Whoever told you that told you a load of complete rubbish, nothing stopping you using a third party router. I and many others on this forum do so.
0 Ratings