cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ithebebs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 61 of 123

Re: Hub 6 not connecting to VPN

Just joined BT to allow short periods of working from home using a VPN connection. Well, guess what, same issue as everyone here.

I have now had a 30 minute online conversation with BT helpdesk who have informed me that I would need to pay for support as this issue is not covered in the free basic support they provide??? Sorry???

I have a router purchased from you which freezes when I send a perfectly formed and valid IP packet across it - this is a firmware bug no two ways about it. It should not matter if the packet is legal or not anyway, there should be error checking to ensure that the router does not hang on malformed packets to prevent overflows etc and certainly not when it is totally valid.

When I debated this point with them I have been told that it is due to VPN not being supported by BT. Again I have asked where in the TOS it states I cannot use VPN across the BT network and they backtracked stating that it is allowed but not something they provide support for.

I tried to clarify with them that I do not need support on how to use VPN / set it up etc as I am fairly literate in this area, my issue is with a firmware bug in the router causing it to lock up when trying to use VPN. As far as I am concerned this is not a technical support issue on the use of VPN but simply a faulty piece of hardware causing an issue.

The response unfortunately was that this kind of issue is not covered under the free support.

I feel like I was debating in circles over an issue which I clearly see as a fault with the router and one which should be fixed as it is not fit for purpose. Getting this message across seems to be an uphill struggle.

If I purchased a router anywhere else it would be returned and replaced or I would get my money back for a faulty item. BT seem to be of the opinion that they have no aftersales obligation to actually provide a reliable service from a hardware point which I take real issue with. Why should I now pay circa £100 to get my internet working with a new hub when I have already paid for a hub which is faulty?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 62 of 123

@ithebebs wrote:

When I debated this point with them I have been told that it is due to VPN not being supported by BT. Again I have asked where in the TOS it states I cannot use VPN across the BT network and they backtracked stating that it is allowed but not something they provide support for.

You're preaching to the choir!!

Sure HH6 doesn't support VPN - that's why they have VPN helper option in the settings!! How great is tech support.

ithebebs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 63 of 123

I know. It was just a mix of needing to vent and hoping that a mod might take notice 😀
0 Ratings
oldforger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 123

It seems to me that the best (only?) way to get BT to take notice is to keep this thread active and growing and to keep prodding BT for some sort of acknowledgement that the probelm is being dealt with.

0 Ratings
jrhollins
Message 65 of 123

This is getting rediculous, we supply support for solicitors who work remotely via vpn, in the last week alone we have had 3 people, who have had moved house and received a Smart Hub 6. When they have connected to the office via VPN they have exactly the same issues, the smarthub6 reboots when the pptp vpn connection is established on a Windows 8 - 10 computers. They also receive the same level of support from BT, some of which support members refer them back to us to rectify. As I am not in the field of fixing firmware bugs in BT routers the only rectification I can suggest is purchasing a 3rd party router or a Home Hub 5 from ebay. Come on BT up your game, this problem has been around for months now and still no firmware fix has been rolled out. If you think in this day and age of high speed internet people dont want to work from home over VPN's you are on a different planet. It doesnt even appear BT are even acknowledging  there is an issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 66 of 123

@JP58 wrote:

Glad to report that a third party router has solved the problem for me. 

What 3rd party router did you use and how easy is it to set this up. If I knew how to go about it I would rather do this than carry on trying hh6s. Thanks

0 Ratings
andyhudson1979
Contributor
Message 67 of 123

I have a netgear nighthawk d7000. It has a wizard type set up so all the configuration is done for you. It will ask for your country and ISP so you select BT.

You just need to know that your username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password is BT. It's the same for every bt user as bt authentication is on the phone line id itself.

TP-LINK, draytek and asus are other brands of routers I've seen mentioned on here.
eitubi
Beginner
Message 68 of 123

For what it's worth, I can confirm what has already been reported by previous posters i.e. switching from PPTP to L2TP stops the Smart Hub from crashing, but by heck it's slow. This using the VPN client built into Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Come on BT, for goodness sake, sort it out.

0 Ratings
samelder
Beginner
Message 69 of 123

Bt finally sent me a HH5 which solved the vpn problem but low and behold the internet phone provided by work was getting ghost calls every 10 mins with no way to change the settings to stop them. The phone worked fine with the smart hub. 

I then got a Netgear AC1200 got it up and running but not happy about paying out for another router but wait............. Now I cant get internet channels.

So tomorrow im collecting a TP link N600 and I will post on here if it works. If it doesnt I will be off in a corner crying asking myself if halving the cost my tv/phone/fiber was worth the hastle. 

If you are thinking of getting a third party take a  look at this before buying, theres a link towards the bottom to search different routers.  

0 Ratings
samelder
Beginner
Message 70 of 123

Wow, it took me a while to get the link to work but its fine now I think.
0 Ratings