Message 101 of 123

Re: Hub 6 not connecting to VPN

Is there any news on this?
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 102 of 123

Not on this or any other specific defect. I did read that there was a new firmware release due to start rolling out from the beginning of October, but there's no statement as to what it might fix.
0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 103 of 123

@smf22 wrote:
Not on this or any other specific defect. I did read ...

Can I ask the obvious question ... where did you read this?? 🙂

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 104 of 123

One of the myriad of posts on the Home Hub 6. I'll see if I can find the message and post it here. Note that it was from another 'user' and not an official source.
0 Ratings
stevehu
Beginner
Message 105 of 123

Hi,

We had the problem here and we HAVE been able to get a VPN working with the Home Hub 6 and Windows 10 thanks to the information in this thread.

The issue *is* related to the protocol being used. We switched from PPTP to IPsec and L2TP. We were fortunate that we were in control of the VPN and the PC - your IT department should be able to advise on what settings to use.

We were using Draytek so this page contains instructions for setting up both ends. Note that the Drayek username is case sensitive.

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-vpn/vpn.host-to-lan/windows-10-built-in-vpn-to-vigor-router/

Good luck!

Best regards

Steve

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 106 of 123

@nix99 wrote:

@smf22 wrote:
Not on this or any other specific defect. I did read ...

Can I ask the obvious question ... where did you read this?? 🙂

@nix99 Found it. From Message 162 of BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements, @Cjd-1 said "I am told a brand new release of the firmware is coming 3rd October which will solve all our problems. Let's hope. Please post your findings after that."

Regards

0 Ratings
oldforger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 107 of 123

Hi,

We had the problem here and we HAVE been able to get a VPN working with the Home Hub 6 and Windows 10 thanks to the information in this thread.

The issue *is* related to the protocol being used. We switched from PPTP to IPsec and L2TP. We were fortunate that we were in control of the VPN and the PC - your IT department should be able to advise on what settings to use.

We were using Draytek so this page contains instructions for setting up both ends. Note that the Drayek username is case sensitive.

Good luck!

Best regards

Steve

Steve: 

This solution worked at first attempt for us. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your fix, you have saved us so much grief (and money). Why BT couldn't have explored this with the resources available to them is totally beyond me.

0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 108 of 123

@nix99 Found it. From Message 162 of BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements, @Cjd-1 said "I am told a brand new release of the firmware is coming 3rd October which will solve all our problems. Let's hope. Please post your findings after that."

Not arrived at my hub yet - here's hoping something arrives soon. 🙂

0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 109 of 123

@oldforger wrote:

The issue *is* related to the protocol being used. We switched from PPTP to IPsec and L2TP. We were fortunate that we were in control of the VPN and the PC - your IT department should be able to advise on what settings to use. 

Sure you can get it to work by using L2TP - however speed drops through the floor and the connection reliability is poor too (for me at least). Granted this might well be because of the hardware at the other end of the VPN pipe.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
James_edge
Beginner
Message 110 of 123

Any word on when/if this will be fixed? Had to put my HH6 straight back in the box and go bakc to the HH5, whihc is a shame as I liked the lights off mode of the HH6.

0 Ratings