cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
nix99
Contributor
Message 11 of 123

Re: Hub 6 not connecting to VPN

Glad it's not just me seeing this issue! I even posted a video of the crash on youtube!

One extra piece of information I'll add is that it L2TP VPN connections work but PPTP VPN connections cause the crash, sadly L2TP connections are sooo slow it's almost unusable. I've had to resort to sharing wifi on my phone and using my PPTP connection through it.

I can't express how much pain this is causing me in my working life - BT support will give no timescale for when the issue will be fixed or indeed if it will be fixed ever. 😞

0 Ratings
woody24k
Message 12 of 123

Hi
We seem to be having the same issue we just recently got the HH6, my misses requires access to her works VPN but every time she trys to access any files the internet connection fails.
Has there been any progress on this as she needs it for work?
Many thanks
James
0 Ratings
oldforger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 123

Exactly the same problem here.

HH5 worked perfectly. Upgraded to BT Infinity 2 and new 'Smart' hub and since then no VPN connection, hub crashes immediately on each attempt to connect using a Windows 10 laptop. No help whatsoever from BT support. To rub salt into woulds we are unable to go back to the HH5 as I very unwisely returned this to BT as part of their green re-cycling programme. 

Such a pity because the wireless connection appears to be much more stable with the new router.

It would be good to know that BT are actively working on a solution as the VPN connection is needed for remote  home working.

0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 14 of 123

@oldforger wrote:

It would be good to know that BT are actively working on a solution as the VPN connection is needed for remote  home working.

I'm not sure if you meant working from home all the time but I DO work from home all the time so whilst some of the other bugs on the HH6 are irritating and have work-arounds, this issue should be having someone at BT HQ bashing programmer skulls together.

I posted a youtube video of the crash 3 weeks ago so if a fix isn't days from being released my question is why the hell not!?!?!

0 Ratings
oldforger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 123

My partner works from home a couple of days a week and the new home hub has effectively stopped her from connecting to her office. 

I agree with you, BT need to be up front with this issue and on the case NOW rather than insisting via their Indian call centre that the hub is not at fault and that we need to sort our problem out via our VPN administrator.

We have spent hours trying to get this to work resulting in crash after crash after crash and total frustration. Tried connecting from a local hotel over their wireless non BT system; no issues, instant connection. Tried connecting from a family members home over wireless non BT system; no issues, instant connection. 

I have seen your video and it exactly replicates what we are seeing. I even forwarded a link to the call centre but they have not commented.

Not impressed BT.

0 Ratings
sevenacregreen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 123

Just got a new smart hub for my upgade to infinity and it crashes as described when I open up VPN on my W10 machine.  Using a Draytek Vigor at the other end of the connection.  Got round it for one task using the open BT wifi but not a solution.  BT is there any time scale for a fix or workround.   Wish I'd stayed on standard broadband!

0 Ratings
sevenacregreen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 123

just been told on the bt chat support
" Ranjeeta: I'm sorry, however, we don't support or guarantee services on VPN.
If you're facing issues with your broadband, please tell me."
that sound fine <>?
0 Ratings
sevenacregreen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 123

Was forwarded to telephone support and their line is we  (BT) do not support VPN  What is the use of a service that does not support VPN!!!!

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 123

From what I read on this thread users are building a VPN through the Smart Hub i.e., the VPN is from a Windows 10 PC to a remote VPN device on the Internet.

I may be being pedantic here, but this is not asking the Smart Hub to support or be involved in any form of VPN. This is simply asking the hub to forward traffic between your PC and a remote device located on the Internet.

I know it's the Smart Hub, but are BT now telling us that this product doesn't support forwarding of IP packets?

Regards

0 Ratings
sevenacregreen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 123

I agree just want it to pass packets between my W10 PC and the remote device .  I have dug out a   W7 pc and set up the VPN it works ok.  So it is something about the traffic W10 generates that causes the hub to reset.

I noted the following from the BT website  blerb about the hub:

"Get a hub that helps you out

This is clever. The BT Smart Hub constantly monitors your internet connection. If it spots a problem, it will quietly reboot and make a fresh connection."

Is it paranoid about W10 VPN?  I recall old dlink routers being "paranoid" and blocking connections which you had to reset the router to clear!   Is it a question of being too smart?   

W7 for now 

maybe a downgrade back to standard broadband and  the old hub 4 that worked fine 

or shell out for a decent modem router and keep infinity!

0 Ratings