cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbswales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 123

Re: Hub 6 not connecting to VPN - will this issue affect all VPN and/or proxy services

Reading this I am wondering if there is something sinister here as many people use a paid proxy or VPN in order to mask their real IP from sites that they do not wish to disclose themselves or want to get around geo location issues (there are many legitimate reasons for wanting to use a proxy sometimes) - services such as TorGuard which is a paid for 3rd party service.  I have been forced to sign up with BT as FTTP is the only fibre connection available to me and none of the providers, other than Zen, are offering services to my area are able to cope with FTTP. Taking into account offers and the included router BT are substantially cheaper in the first year, additionally Zen only offer 76Mbps wheras I have ordered 200 Mbps with BT. Does this mean that when my smart hub arrives that services like Torguard (and Tor Browser as well) on a windows 10 PC will cause a reboot and not work?

I need to know this month because if this is the case I could cancel the BT Smart Hub (saving delivery costs) and order a suitable 3rd Party Router.  I have an ASUS DSL 55NU modem router at the moment but I dont think this will be compatible with FTTP even with the modem function disabled.  On the other hand would I be better taking the BT Hub, as I have to have an engineer connection for FTTP, and then replacing it after if the problem manifests on my system.

Lastly do any people here reccommend any particular router - I had thought to upgrade to a different ASUS as I am already familiar with their managment programme

0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 42 of 123

Re: Hub 6 not connecting to VPN - will this issue affect all VPN and/or proxy services

@gbswales wrote:

Reading this I am wondering if there is something sinister here as many people use a paid proxy or VPN ...

If you are implying that BT have deliberately stopped the VPN working the answer is no. Other type of windows 10 VPN connections work fine, PPTP connections cause a crash but I have an L2TP connection that works fine (but slow!).

0 Ratings
KeithR
Beginner
Message 43 of 123

My HH6 works fine with VPN to the Office using a MacBook Pro (OS 10.11.6). Do we agree its just a Win10 issue?

0 Ratings
MonkeyWonders
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 123

It affects windows 8.1 as well.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 45 of 123

Re: Hub 6 not connecting to VPN

I think the issue is more related to the type of VPN. With the MacBook are you using PPTP, L2TP, IPSec.... something else?

Regards
0 Ratings
KeithR
Beginner
Message 46 of 123

I'm using L2TP

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 47 of 123

Another post, Hub 6 not connecting to VPN, where the Smart Hub crashes when carrying PPTP traffic.

Regards

0 Ratings
ihays64
Message 48 of 123

My HUB6a does not allow my VPN to connect. With previous providers I have had no issues. Windows 8.1 PaloAlto Global Protect VPN client Azure Multi-Factor Authentication When connecting I enter logon details and verify via Multi-Factor app. After being authenticated it fails to connect, I do not get the HH6 re-booting as noted by others in this thread. I note also that in the PaloAlto logs that it reports - no default route. In the HH6 logs I am getting a lot of DNS name resolution failures to my work domain. NeilO your profile does not show "contact the mods" link can you please confirm it is there. Regards
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 49 of 123

As per the forum home page, this is "a place for BT customers and experts to share knowledge and help each other."

The moderators will only pick up a small number of the total posts on here, and the "contact the mods" link only appears under a moderator's profile when a forum user is "invited" to contact them. This makes sense otherwise they'd be contacted all the time, which is not the purpose of the forum.

Regards

0 Ratings
stuclark
Beginner
Message 50 of 123

I can confirm that PTPP VPN connections work fine using the HH6 on MacOSX (apart from Sierra, which has removed PTPP from the MacOS)

0 Ratings